Author Topic: Seed potatoes  (Read 8080 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Seed potatoes
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:06:55 »
Hi everyone, walking around my local B and Q yesterday, I noticed that they had seed potatoes for sale. They had a full range on offer earlies,second earlies and main crop. Isn't it to early to buy seed potatoes? When do you normally buy yours in? Thank For any opinions 😀🌺
Paul

small

• Hectare
Re: Seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:23:09 »
Seems a bit early to me, not sure how I'd store them because surely you don't want them to start chitting yet....fridge, maybe? I get mine round about end of February usually, a good guide may be whenever the 'potato days' are.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 10:11:05 »
I have been looking out for seed potatoes as our garden centre usually has them in just before Christmas. I like to but while you have a good selection no problem if you put them in trays straight away in a full light bot frost free place. I have a couple of tomato trays with corner pegs in.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 10:43:08 »
Isn't it to early to buy seed potatoes?

I have no problem with that although normally I get my seed in January from a wholesaler.

For example:  I save my own PFA each year  meaning I have to store them until needed from the day I dig them up, so I set them up to chit from that day and normally have no problems.

Saying that PFA do not form big 'chits' like some varieties but if these other varieties  are getting maximum light then the  chits do not get overly large, but then again if they do not get good light you will end up with long aneamic looking chits on your seed.

So much of the potential problems are in the growers hands not the suppliers.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 15:19:54 »
Mid Jan.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 16:09:54 »
I get mine from JBA, you can specify a delivery week on the order, which is really helpful. I can't dig my ground before March at the earliest, so I don't want them hanging about in the flat for months on end.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 17:47:00 »
mid jan then put first earlies in sacks in greenhouse 2nd week in feb i will be growing allmy potatoes in bags this year togive the ground a rest
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 14:59:18 »
Our society used to have monthly competitions ,the March on was for spouted seed potatoes, to try and encourage members to chit their potatoes and give them a good start when they were planted in the soil.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 19:44:01 »
I planted some I picked up in the market a couple of months ago, along with minitubers from my TPS plants. They'll come through the winter and grow quite happily.

andhram

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 17:04:46 »
I have rodered mine from allotment shop, though I have only ordered for Lidy C . thinking of checking for  sarpo axona around.

I also saved some charlotti potatos from my 2nd crop this year.. I want to grow them as 2nd crop htis year. so to keep them safe until the end of august.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 15:38:29 »
depends on what you are planting and whether chitting bothers but if you are planting 1st earlies mid march and chitting taking say 6 weeks then you should be buying soon 

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 18:14:45 »
Swindon allotment and liesure garden association are having their Potato day this coming Saturday at Gorse hill community centre. Gorse hill , Swindon, Wilts.  Free entry. Over 60 potato varieties, fruit trees,fruit bushes,onions,shallots,garlic, heritage seeds and lots more. 10am to 2.30 pm or till stocks sell out.  Pennard Plants are the suppliers, and I've been very pleased with my purchases over the last 17 years.
Wishing you All a very good growing year. Regards Taurus.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 11:09:17 »
I'm hunting mine down next weekend...

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 14:37:33 »
ours should arrive by next weekend  then earlies ill leave in the shed then plant in bags in the greenhouse middle of  feb after my holiday a week in the sunshine to give my bones a rest back to the spuds though cant remember what i ordered so it will be fun

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 14:38:44 »
ours should arrive by next weekend  then earlies ill leave in the shed then plant in bags in the greenhouse middle of  feb after my holiday a week in the sunshine to give my bones a rest back to the spuds though cant remember what i ordered so it will be fun

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 08:46:27 »
went and fetched some this weekend wanted to make sure i got them before they sold out or formed long chits in the shop

international kidney
albert bartlet roosters
sarpo mira

after seing dans success on alotment diary i decided to give sarpo a try this year

mine are all in the fridge at the moment

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2016, 11:58:37 »
I'm hunting mine down next weekend...

Where about this year? I only need about 40 tubers this year, so probably waiting for Wilkos....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2016, 12:39:16 »
As it is snowy, we went down to Anstey and collected ours today.... Sorry!  :wave:

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2016, 20:35:08 »
When do Wilko's normally get their seed potatoes in?🌻
Paul

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 22:42:52 »
Our local Wilko had seed potatoes last Tuesday 12 Jan when I visited. I have just got back from Devon and two local nurseries were selling loose seed potatoes. I bought various sorts at £1.20 a Kg, with Lady Cristl and PFA at £1.50 a Kg from the one I usually use (at Barnstaple Cross near Crediton).
Anyone else noticed that T&M bags last year were 2.25kg and this year are 2kg, same price!?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal