Author Topic: Really angry with our poultry-keeping friend  (Read 4826 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Really angry with our poultry-keeping friend
« on: December 18, 2015, 17:49:21 »
We're looking after the ducks and chickens for one of our allotment friends while he's away for a long Christmas hols.  We started last Friday, so exactly a week ago.  I just received a text message from him to say, "Don't forget the quails, please, please"

Quails?  WHAT QUAILS??  He used to keep quail in a separate shed, but I checked that on day 1, and it was empty.  A few years ago we hatched a couple of dozen for him, but last time I saw them he'd run down the flock to 2 birds, so I assumed they'd died or been passed on to someone else.

So in the dark, we've both been down to the allotment armed with feed, fresh water, and torches.  Checked the shed again.  No sign.  Every second we're expecting to discover a couple of pathetic bodies, starved to death by my neglect.

Eventually we find a rabbit hutch covered with a tarpaulin, in with the ducks, if you please, containing the two quail, who have fortunately survived.  They did in fact have plenty of food, but the state of their drinking water after a week can only be imagined.

Anyway, we left them with fresh food and plenty of lovely clean water.

But I'm mightily unimpressed that he didn't think to mention them until now.   :BangHead:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: Really angry with our poultry-keeping friend
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 20:56:15 »
As he is a 'friend', I would simply send a short text back on the lines of "you reminded us just in time, our plans for a festive 'three bird roast" have now been realised."
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 23:40:53 »
Ouch - did they leave in a panic?  They will be so glad that all is well after all, thanks to your kindness.  But yes - that's crass forgetting to mention the quails.  Glad the birds are ok.   :sunny:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 07:27:24 »
Ouch - did they leave in a panic?  ...

Plans had apparently changed.  I was due to take over on Monday 14th, but I got a text on the previous Friday 11th to say that they'd left, and could I look after the birds from that moment please.  Luckily we weren't planning to be away that weekend!

So yes, I'm sure that was part of the problem.  I didn't get my usual handover.  We have copies of his keys (as he has of ours when he returns the favour) so it must have seemed OK.  But the last time we looked after these birds was 5 months ago.

Anyway I've calmed down a bit now.  But I hate any cruelty to animals, and didn't want to think that I'd starved the birds to death, however unwittingly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal