Author Topic: Be careful what you wish for!  (Read 3674 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Be careful what you wish for!
« on: December 17, 2015, 19:34:07 »
I just thought that I'd post an update on our beer making activities.  The use of the superb Grainfather system has made home brewing a real pleasure, and we've made several very successful brews.  But the most interesting stories are inevitably those marked "FAIL".

I've got a taste memory of a most delicious beer that used to be made at Wards Brewery in Sheffield.  The name still exists, but the beer that came from the Sheaf Brewery sadly does not.  I've been trying to re-create it.  My third attempt was pretty good, but I'd remembered the beer as being much more bitter.

So this time I really gave it some hoppy wellie.  I used American Citra hops as well as East Kent Goldings, and dry-hopped with some lovely Fuggles.

Alas, I overdid it.  The beer is perfectly healthy.  I can't blame the Grainfather, nor my ingredients, nor the Beersmith software which showed the bitterness in the red zone.  But it's bitter beyond my expectations.  Bitter in the sense that you wouldn't want to drink a lot of it, in the way that Campari or Punt e Mes are bitter.

It won't be wasted though.  I'm slightly embarrassed to admit it, but we're drinking it with lemonade.  Makes a great shandy!   :sunny:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal