Author Topic: What percentage of land to be cultivated ?  (Read 5044 times)

andrea66

• Not So New ...
What percentage of land to be cultivated ?
« on: December 15, 2015, 16:26:06 »
When I first took on my lottie I remember reading somewhere that the site has to be 75% cultivated and 25% for sheds,greenhouses etc. but for the life in me I can't find these rules anywhere...........was I dreaming ?
I thought this was pretty standard.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: What percentage of land to be cultivated ?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 17:34:48 »
Depends on your tenancy agreement.  Everyone has different agreements/rules in place.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 18:47:12 »
It also depends on how ignorant the assessors are - I have 2 grapevines running parallel with less than the recommended space between them but the assessors classed the gap as uncultivated  :BangHead:.

Maybe next year I'll leave the pruning until after they've gone - then they'll accuse me of not cultivating the vines properly :violent1:.

Seems like if you can't make the place look like Gardeners World then they will find a way to lean on you...

As far as I'm aware, all the relevant Acts  concentrate on productivity (I call it microholding) - nowhere does it ask for the tidiness of a knot garden - or the sterility of same for that matter.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:30 »
75% here, I think it's the usual.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 19:57:31 »
We keep chickens on one of our plots (half plot).  What with the chickens and the fruit trees, the compost bins and the potting tables, we've only got perhaps a quarter actually growing vegetables in beds.  But the council allotments people are quite happy.  We did notify them about the chickens when we started.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal