Author Topic: Rhubarb in containers  (Read 3712 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Rhubarb in containers
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:26:47 »
I love rhubarb but I haven't got enough room on the plot to give it a bed of its own. Has anybody grown it in containers, if so how large do they need to be and what feed would you recommend?😀
Paul

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Rhubarb in containers
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:59:19 »
It has huge long roots.  Not sure it will take up any less space in a pot.  Suggest you tip out something else from the plot and put that in the pot.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:41:55 »
I' d be thinking odd corner, unusable space, beside compost bin?, maybe if container, 40 gallon oil drum sort of size (ensure drainage), old waterbutt with split, that sort of thing.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 16:08:25 »
it would have to be quite substantial container i think it would be easier to squeeze it in a corner rhubarb will really grow anywhere   i love it too so i always find challenging places for it and every time its grows very well next to a dry fence under a tree behind the shed its a great plant hope you can fit it in somewhere
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:48:44 »
T&M sell a variety which they claim can be container grown ... not cheap, mind.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-plants/rhubarb-crowns/rhubarb-fultons-strawberry-surprise-spring-planting/cww3564TM

But £5 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers buys a £15 T&M website voucher, or you could ask Santa.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:49 »
I don't mind seeing it grown in the back of a herbaceous border, to add a bit of difference to the planting, not much difference to the ornamental rheum plants that you could pay a fortune for.

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 13:14:34 »
fultons strawberry expensive as you say but I rate it highly- many of the stalks are a beautiful deep pink all the way through though. something  I dont get as much with the other varieties i've grown

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:44 »
I like rhubarb but no-one else in my family does much. Mine grows really well now in a shady spot (in the ground) behind a hazel hedge. The hedge faces south, so protects the rhubarb from the full sun. I wouldn't grow it in a pot, just shove it somewhere in a shady moist corner, it will do ok.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal