Author Topic: Passata machine  (Read 5966 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Passata machine
« on: December 23, 2015, 19:09:32 »
MIL has indicated that there will be a little dosh in my stocking to choose my own present.  This year has been wonderful for tomatoes, but processing them takes time.  I have been eyeing up Passata Machines.  Has anybody got one or has experience with one of these passata machines?  If so which one.  The Dexam looks a little flimsy, but has the advantage of being able to be clamped to the work top.  Are there other models on the market that I should look at?  Presumably they all take uncooked tomatoes.  Maybe larger tomatoes have to be cut smaller?

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/PASSATA_MACHINE_BY_RIGAMONTI_OF_LECCO/p1834925_15092652.aspx

http://www.dexam.co.uk/Search/17851079/17851079

Any advice much appreciated.   :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Passata machine
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 23:15:02 »
I've had the Seeds of Italy model for some years now and find that it's advisable to soften tomatoes in a pan for a few minutes first - otherwise you and your kitchen will get splattered! I also put the separated waste through the machine twice to maximize puree extraction. You then end up with quite dry waste (just don't add it to your compost unless you want masses of volunteer tomato plants!!)

If you are considering this model, it is cheaper on Amazon. I can't remember where I bought mine but do remember paying £24.99 delivered!

Tricia  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 08:07:54 »
I just use Kenwood Chef with a sieve attachment but it helps to have a kenwood chef!!!

I always roast my toms before processing - I think you get a better flavour and a more concentrated sauce
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 12:25:02 »
I've had the Seeds of Italy model for some years now and find that it's advisable to soften tomatoes in a pan for a few minutes first - otherwise you and your kitchen will get splattered! I also put the separated waste through the machine twice to maximize puree extraction. You then end up with quite dry waste (just don't add it to your compost unless you want masses of volunteer tomato plants!!)

If you are considering this model, it is cheaper on Amazon. I can't remember where I bought mine but do remember paying £24.99 delivered!

Tricia  :wave:

Agree very much with this.  It's a good machine, but it does need a couple of passes to extract the most from the pulp.  We halve the tomatoes and soften them in the microwave.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 19:27:30 »
I'll look up my model when I go up to the loft next. I do several passes and there are some parts which don't look built to stand the test of time, but I do like it. I tend to wait till got a good load to do as otherwise it doesn't seem worth the faff and I just scald the skins off and then put through a sieve. A friend has passed on a tip to save the skins after blanching then dry and add to food to get the healthy lycopene back into your diet rather than discard.
Agree with BN about the lovely flavour if roasted first and Tricia about the volunteers but I don't mind them popping up!

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 21:55:34 »
I have the seeds o Italy machine and as others do pass the tomatoes/pulp through the machine several times. It is very effective at removing skins and seeds. I have found the sucker part does not know stick to table- I cut the tomatoes into 1/4s before putting in the machine and are careful when turning the handle, holding machine down with my other hand. It does require cleaning very thoroughly afterwards. Agree need to have a number of tomatoes to process to make it worth while to use machine, but far quicker than using sieve or removing skins and then chopping. I would definitely recommend this machine.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 19:53:59 »
Thank you all for your helpful comments.  Several things to take on board.  It is necessary to pass the waste through the machine again for the best extraction and the flavour is much better with pre-roasted tomatoes.  Also that the Rigamonti machine works well.

Thank you so much for all this information.  I have never pre-roasted, just blanched the tomatoes for a few seconds to get the skins off, then halved and scooped seeds (or not bothered), but with a passata machine, roasting and processing afterwards is easy.  I understand too that it isn't worth starting unless there is a decent quantity of tomatoes, because of clearing up afterwards, but since I am looking at an aid to making a batch of jars for winter, the one does go with the other I guess.

So helpful to hear from people who have used a machine.  I am now very happy to order one   :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 00:58:26 »
Thanks for the tip of softening the tomatoes in the microwave Melbourne 12 - why didn't I think of that, I use my combi/microwave for pretty much all my cooking!

Tricia :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:43:30 »
A friend has passed on a tip to save the skins after blanching then dry and add to food to get the healthy lycopene back into your diet rather than discard.

Is this like 'tomato tea'? - a nice drink on its own or use as a veggie soup base.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 09:47:18 »
A friend has passed on a tip to save the skins after blanching then dry and add to food to get the healthy lycopene back into your diet rather than discard.

Is this like 'tomato tea'? - a nice drink on its own or use as a veggie soup base.

I just sprinkle it on some unsuspecting food  :glasses9:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal