Author Topic: Saskatoon  (Read 1886 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Saskatoon
« on: December 03, 2015, 07:35:20 »
Has anyone had any experience with a Saskatoon.  They sound very interesting.  Seems they are a Canadian thing.  Taste a bit like a blueberry but a member of the rose family.  I am tempted.   They are apparently very tasty.

Seems those from Blackmoor are not grafted but seed sown which is a concern if the plant has poor genes, but at least will not bring the same chance of bugs with it.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
Re: Saskatoon
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 18:24:06 »
Look at agroforestry.co.uk - they sell plants of named varieties bred for cropping (in Canada most likely). I'm not sure if they are grafted or just likely to have come true. Worth a look - most varieties are sold out for 2015 but they have at least one available for £8.

I got mine from them and it is a good cropper - unfortunately I tend to be very busy around the time they fruit and I sometimes find the pigeons have wolfed the lot. They do ripen gradually over a week or two so I usually get some.

Mine LOOK like blueberries but taste somewhere between apple and plum with just a hint of blueberry - still delicious and a very welcome change from strawbs and Tays. I've never tried them cooked - to me that would be a waste.

Cheers.

PS. It's a fascinating website and you can believe their descriptions but I no longer buy anything that just says "edible" - if it doesn't say something like 'tasty' then it's really just famine food/novelty.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal