Author Topic: Why are fresh eggs rotten or green?  (Read 3480 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Why are fresh eggs rotten or green?
« on: November 22, 2015, 13:51:52 »
Rotten eggs?  1 egg was green when cracked open, 1 was pale yellow almost white, and 2 were mushy.  The eggs were no older than 3 days.  Any suggestions to what has caused these problems. Never had any issues before,  just this week...  Any suggestions please.

Just cleared a full tug of swede tops that had been cut and thrown in from plot neighbour.  These were covered amongst the mud, would this have anything to do with it?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 14:33:09 by kt. »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

steve76

• Acre
Re: Why are fresh eggs rotten or green?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 19:57:37 »
Hi, never heard of this problem before??
sorry but have to ask the obvious do you collect the eggs every day?
I have chickens and have found that if they don't like it or its bad for them they won't eat it and i have put almost everything from my plot in with them if they have not touched it i take it out the next day so wouldn't think the swede top are  the problem ?????

Are the eggs cracked ??? they would go off quick if they were??

Bit stumped but intrigued...

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: Why are fresh eggs rotten or green?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:51:32 »
The only light I could throw on this is if you had a broody hen sitting on unfertilised eggs for several weeks and she wasn't lifted to take the eggs away as when you arrived to collect the eggs, you thought she had just gone in the nest box to lay. 

Other than that, I can think of no other explanation.  The swede tops would not have been a problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal