Author Topic: glysophate products such as Roundup  (Read 4406 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
glysophate products such as Roundup
« on: November 20, 2015, 21:03:03 »
From this weeks "DIY NEWS"
Europe gives the all-clear to Roundup and glyphosate
Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup herbicide products, has effectively been given a clean bill of health by European regulatory authorities.

The decision 'should reassure retailers that they can continue to sell glyphosate products'
The decision "should reassure retailers that they can continue to sell glyphosate products"

The safety of glyphosate is reviewed at European level every 10 years. If the ingredient is considered to be risk-free then its authorisation to be put on sale is renewed.

In the final stage of the latest review, the conclusion of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) and the EU member states is that "glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic hazard to humans".

The authorities also decided that the evidence did not warrant classifying glyphosate with regard to its carcinogenic potential, and said it had no toxic effect on reproduction.

Roundup, which was developed in 1974 by Monsanto but is distributed in the UK exclusively by Scotts Miracle-Gro, is the best known and biggest selling retail product containing glyphosate. It hit the headlines earlier this year amid claims that glyphosate could cause cancer and that it was being banned in some countries. However, those claims were strenuously denied by Monsanto.

Now, the overwhelming consensus of the European authorities is that glyphosate poses no unreasonable risks to humans or the environment when used according to label instructions.

Scotts Miracle-Gro told diyweek.net: "The news from EFSA is very important, as it clarifies the confusion caused by the International Agency for Research on Cancer's classification of glyphosate earlier this year, which was widely publicised and used by some activist groups to advocate for regulatory bans on the use of glyphosate or voluntary delisting of glyphosate products by retailers.

"Glyphosate has been an effective method of weed control for more than 40 years, with hundreds of studies demonstrating its safety for humans and wildlife. This latest EFSA determination should reassure retailers and consumers that they can continue to sell and use glyphosate products."

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in the following Scotts Miracle-Gro products:

· All Roundup weedkillers
· Weedol Rootkill Plus
· Weedol Gun! Rootkill Plus
· Weedol Pathclear Weedkiller
· Weedol PS Pathclear Weedkiller
· Weedol Ultra Tough Weedkiller
· Weedol Gun! Ultra Tough
· TumbleWeed
· TumbleWeed Ready to Use "
I have no commercial interest in this or any similar product and only recommend it on the basis of satisfactory results in my limited use.Always read ,and follow instructions , of any chemical product.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

picman

• Acre
Re: glysophate products such as Roundup
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 09:08:07 »
Glyphosate is the world’s most heavily used weed killer and has long been at the centre of a debate between scientific bodies over whether it poses a risk of cancer. and according to the World Health Organization , who recently said it was "probably carcinogenic" .   

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 09:49:54 »
Monsanto would say that.  They have billions of dollars invested in developing glyphosate in teh first place and then GM crops that are resistant to it so that it can be used in higher concentrations against other plants.  And that is where the proble lies.   In places like South America where they are locked into the GM crops they are using glyphosate in such strengths they are experiencing higher rates of cancer and childbirth defects with no other probable cause yet identified.

In addition, independent scientific studies in Europe have found glyphosate in water supplies where it is casuing some prpblems.  So much for becoming inert on contact with the soil.   

Continue to use it by all means but in the correct dose, not near water courses or ponds and with due caution against getting it on your skin or in your lungs.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 13:31:42 »
Recently I have been getting emails written in German on the subject I don't know why unless someone knows something from my past.

Not that I use the stuff I am glad it has got a clean bill off health ( if that is the correct term or a pun)

Although I am all for health and safety it annoys me that the commercial fraternity can still use many of the products I sometimes used in the past because they have a license.

Have you ever noticed when occasionally (very occasionally) how the person who was once known as the 'road sweeper' blasts such products around? The one that we have has no consideration for 'overspray' and I have had plants damaged o a number of times.

Personally I think most of us gardeners are often more responsible than the so called 'EXPERTS'

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 00:46:53 »
t the risk of sounding rude..I think they are crazy..
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal