Author Topic: How do i set up a committee on a council run Allotment  (Read 3234 times)

Shal34

How do i set up a committee on a council run Allotment
« on: November 14, 2015, 15:55:16 »
So I have been a plot holder for nearly 2yrs, it is a council run Allotment we have a council allotment officer and a allotment rep, the problem is that our rep seems to choose who he give access to communal areas to and only shares information with certain people it was almost a year before I found out there was a toilet, there have been a lot of newbies in the last couple of years and we would like to set up a committee of some sort so that control can be shared rather than just one person who dictates, any advise would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 16:11:22 by Shal34 »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: How do i set up a committee on a council run Allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 18:28:02 »
good for you cant offer any advice as we own our own land  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 18:42:08 »
Be careful Shal34, you are stepping into dangerous territory, as many on here will I hope warn you about.  There will be an entrenched power group lurking unseen somewhere within your site, and if they hear of your plan, they will switch to attack mode.

If you have found a group of like minded plot holders, then why not form an informal club and meet perhaps once a month off site, in a pub preferably.  But again be careful, even forming a club will seen as an act of war by the entrenched old guard, and they will may even resort to sending spies to your pub meetings.  If you think I have a vivid imagination think again, this happened when I formed a club. 

Shal34

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 19:25:24 »
Thanks for the warning, today have had a chat with a lot of newbies including some that have been welcome in the old gang, our rep is never around because he's had personal problems and is never on site at weekends because he runs marathons, which annoying a few people, i'm not affected by this as i can go day times, there will be a power struggle but one that is worth it, as rep has upset a lot of old plot owners, as well as newbies, his gang is very small....

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 21:27:16 »
Usually councils are very pleased to have a allotment association to run the day to day management, let plot, collect rents, keep an eye on cultivation and things, Form your association , enlist a committee more the better ( 8 ish ) will show you have support, state your aims ,  if possible write a constitution, and rule book. send it to the council and ask  to represent the site .... at the same time send a copy to current rep invite them to join the committee.
Good luck ... 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal