Author Topic: Legal definition of 'cultivtion'.  (Read 4312 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Legal definition of 'cultivtion'.
« on: November 12, 2015, 19:32:46 »
Does anyone know what the legal definition of 'cultivation' is?

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
Re: Legal definition of 'cultivtion'.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 21:46:09 »
being used to grow plants different sites have different ratios for veg and flowers ect

why whats the problem

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 23:28:34 »
I am afraid it is one of those words that has so many meanings that I doubt there would be a possible legal definition of the actual word.
The word originates from Latin and means to prepare the soil before sowing a crop .
However that word has expanded it's meaning from just agricultural use to wider usage like cultivate the arts or cultivate a relationship.

Although meaning soil preparation a field of wheat for example is classified as being  in cultivation all the time the crop is growing.

There again worms cultivate the soil I guess

Sorry to confuse the issue for you.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 14:02:05 »
Birmingham City Council has opted out of managing allotment sites. Some of the people now in charge are propagating an idea that 'cultivation' involves digging, and necessitates either fruit or veg. Obviously, they're just redefining the word to suit their narrow ideas. I'm worried about people who use their plots as gardens though. There's nothing in the Birmingham tenancy agreement to stipulate what you can or can't grow, so they're effectively inventing a new rule to suit themselves.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 16:16:47 »
Robert the 1922 act defines allotments as

The expression “allotment garden” means an allotment not exceeding forty poles in extent which is wholly or mainly cultivated by the occupier for the production of vegetable or fruit crops for consumption by himself or his family;

However there are also references to livestock elsewhere in the act. It seems that flowers are allowed on most sites though.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 16:19:26 »
....."Digging is called 'primary cultivation' (and could also be carried out by a mechanical rotavator). This is followed by secondary cultivation to produce a fine seedbed, ready for sowing seed or planting."......RHS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal