Author Topic: Has anyone moved to self management in Greenwich ?  (Read 3698 times)

Shal34

Has anyone moved to self management in Greenwich ?
« on: November 16, 2015, 19:13:56 »
We are going to set up an informal commitee on our greenwich council run Allotment, in the long term we would like to go to self management, has anyone here done that ? Especially if you come under greenwich council ?
How helpful were the council?
Where is the best place to get advice?
Cheers.

pumkinlover

Re: Has anyone moved to self management in Greenwich ?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:36:03 »
Have you approached the council about your plans, it might help prevent misunderstanding later.
Are you members of the National Allotment society (formerly NSALG)? They have lots of information to help members.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 13:24:48 »
Our site did it a few years before I got a plot on it. Our Committee were supported by http://www.kfag.org.uk. They might be able to help.

Shal34

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 13:58:16 »
Sparrow is your site in Kingston?

Pumpkinlover am trying to get as much info before going to the council as when I went to ask about access to a communal area, as our site rep has gone awol, the lady was very abrupt and gave me conflicting answers it was very odd, she then pointed her finger at me and my fellow plot holder and told us she is going to ring our rep and let him know we had been there, she also said he is there all the time which is untrue as know one has seen him since early summer.

Need info before we can take this any further

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 15:46:20 »
Yes it is.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 18:22:00 »
According to the internet, Greenwich has 3 self-managed sites - are you able to approach any of them for help?

nodig

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:00:24 »
Hi Shal34, I still think your best approach is to form a club.  Perhaps run the club for a year or two, and of course one of the many subjects you can all discuss over a pint is whether self-management is the way forward.  If you approach the council as a unified club and well run club, you are much more likely to catch the attention of the council.

bluecar

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 15:22:13 »
Hello Shal34.

I think nodig has hit the nail on the head! If you call yourself a committee, even informal, it implies that you are representing other plot holders.  That is bound to upset someone. As a club, it's just a group of like minded individuals talking about their allotment and related issues.

Regards
Bluecar

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal