Author Topic: Cleaning the greenhouse  (Read 4252 times)

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
Cleaning the greenhouse
« on: October 26, 2015, 17:15:23 »
Can anyone advise me as to how I clean the glass that overlaps within a greenhouse? I have tried pouring bleach to run down but to no avail!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Cleaning the greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 18:24:13 »
High pressure blast from a hose pipe carefully angled?
Obxx - Vendée France

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 19:44:51 »
The  overlap area is typically under capillary suction, where moisture is held by the surface tension of the water. This pulls in small particles of soil(dust) which will support green cells of algae and sometimes, moss.The best treatment would be a solution of an algicide such as jeyes fluid, and be content with that. Attempts to prise up the glass to gain access is likely to cause breakage and the risk of flying glass particles.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 20:18:20 »
I agree with ancells advice and would add a bit more.

Once you have sprayed on your algicides leave it in place for a few hours better still for a day or more.

What this does is act like WD40 it penetrates the lap and softens the algae  which makes it easier to remove when you use the power hose.

Stubborn areas can sometimes be removed by carefully pushing / sliding  a plant label up the lap and pushing out the stubborn material but as ancell hints .......do this at your peril.

A soft bristled brush can sometimes do similar.

You don't mention if you have an alloy greenhouse where the glass is held in with Spring clips.

If this is the case remove the lowest clips holding the pane and this may offer a bit of space to get the label/ bristles in.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 13:35:21 »
Just about to go out now with Jeyes Fluid and a plant label. Soft brush then leave it to drip down while you do the outside.

gardenqueen

• Acre
  • Love to garden.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 19:47:33 »
Never thought of using a plant label!  :tongue3: I agree that trying to lift the glass would be a bit risky and yes I do have clips holding the glass in place. Have never used Jeys fluid but will get some tomorrow and start the dreaded long winded clean! Thank you all for the good advice.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 22:41:27 »
I cleaned my greenhouse today, but have never fumigated it. However, having suffered badly with tomato moth, some of which I found hiding in the top of my bamboo canes, would it be worth doing it this year? What would I use, sulphur cones?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 00:24:12 »
I still have tomatoes ripening (Sungold and Pomodoro), so I'll wait until the new year when I shall use spray Jeyes fluid to clean my polycarbonate mini greenhouse walls. Can't reach the roof so that will have to stay dirty :tongue3:.

Tricia :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 06:48:59 »
A quick once-round with a bucket of warm water and a few drops of Ecover (or other dishwashing liquid, but only a small squirt) with microfibre cloths (or similar) and a household brush or an old washing-up brush for the corners, will make the panes significantly brighter if there are still crops in the greenhouse.  And if a little bit spills onto the plants accidentally it won't hurt them.   

Only problem is that I get a lot of dirty water running up my sleeve.  It is definitely a mucky job that needs a change of jumper afterwards. Reaching around plants also makes the job a bit harder.  :wave:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:51:26 by galina »

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 19:44:16 »
I still have tomatoes ripening (Sungold and Pomodoro), so I'll wait until the new year when I shall use spray Jeyes fluid to clean my polycarbonate mini greenhouse walls. Can't reach the roof so that will have to stay dirty :tongue3:.

Tricia :wave:
Old folding sponge floor mop, such as Addis. Apply outside after plants have finished.Lightly agitate. Let the winter rains wash off. (Drain water butt connected after treatment. Allow to refill during first month and redrain. Two birds with one jeyes jollop! Nice fresh clean water for early seedlings, job done.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal