Author Topic: Good bean harvest  (Read 2164 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Good bean harvest
« on: October 20, 2015, 14:58:17 »
Looks like my shelling bean harvest this year is pretty good. Having already got a fair amount into the freezer as "wet" beans , the dried beans that I've been steadily shelling out have been steadily filling a shoebox. there's about a dustbin liner of dried pods yet to deal with, mostly from mixture of Bosnian Black-seeded Greenpod, San Antonio, Madiera Maroon and Borlotti, all of which were a bit late this year.... also still got the Bridgewaters, Polish Climbers and Pea-Pintos to do.... fingers crossed...

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Good bean harvest
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 22:46:47 »
I had a disaster with shelling beans ... I just can't keep the rabbits out long enough ... eventually I managed to get the Gigandes beans to climb up the poles and set beans but it was late in the season ... but my others - especially the Borlotti (Lamon) were obviously their first choice of everything I grew ... the minute they got inside the fence they ate every bit of the Borlotti plant they could reach ... so disheartening.

I have a few nicely formed Gigandes which have dried on the plant with more to come ... and just a hand full of borlottis.  So sad ... I will attempt to replace the offending fence but they were literally biting and pushing through buried chicken wire last year it was not an effective barrier at all.  The deer also jumped over and browsed the borlottis.   I think my site is going to be a bit of a challenge next year too.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 00:15:57 »
Chickenwire isn't rabbit-proof, as you've found out! Weld mesh is what's recommended for rabbit runs, and if it keeps rabbits in it should keep them out too. ;)

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:23 »
Oh dear ... I don't think I can justify a whole perimeter of welded mesh for the plot - that would cost hundreds and hundreds of pounds.  How many beans would I have to grow to get that back?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:54:01 »
Brought in and shelled out the Barlotti last weekend. No rabbits or deer here thankfully!  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal