Author Topic: Will winter squash ripen off the plant?  (Read 2374 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Will winter squash ripen off the plant?
« on: October 10, 2015, 18:15:21 »
I want to take the queensland blue off the plant since it will be cold next week. It is still green plus there are some small ones can they be eaten as summer squash?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
Re: Will winter squash ripen off the plant?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 19:49:16 »
Yes and yes! :happy7:

The small one can be used exactly like a well flavoured summer squash. Indeed that is how I use the late developing winter squash fruits, taking them off the plants so they can carry on developing the well formed storage fruits.

Baker Creek say Queensland blue matures in 110 days so quite a late ripener.

http://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/squash/winter-squash/?pg=4

My Jumbo Pink Banana Squash, all thirty of them :happy7:, that are marked as 105 day maturity have been picked for a week to ten days but I like to get an early planting with protection.

Winter squash need "curing" off the plant in order to set the skin and condition the flesh. They often change colour somewhat once picked so you may find your Queensland Blue ripens in store.

Of course you may have it eaten quite quickly anyway. :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 21:20:56 »
Yes and yes! :happy7:

Of course you may have it eaten quite quickly anyway. :happy7:

Yes they will ripen off the plant and change to their storage colour.  But please hold off eating them for at least a month.  As they mature off the plant, their flavour improves a lot. 

We also eat the little ones like summer squash, but leave the big ones until Christmas or longer.   :wave:

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 22:55:52 »
Just to echo galina, it will taste how it's supposed to if you bring it in and let it mature on a sunny windowsill. They go a lovely slate bluey grey, and the innards are a bright orange. Very tasty. :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 23:12:06 »
Another voice saying hold off eating, the waiting makes a huge difference to the taste of winter squash. I often hear folks say that they are disapointed at the taste of some squash and very often it is because it is eaten too soon..

Summer Squash eat straight away... Winter Squash..put it away !!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 18:45:03 »
Thankyou for the advice. I've harvest some of them, will get the rest of them this week. I will keep them on the windowsill hopefully there will be enough sun for them.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 08:15:13 »
Cure them in a warm place then store them in a cool one
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal