Author Topic: Toast  (Read 9772 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Toast
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:03:13 »
I see now that being in Europe is going to affect the colour of my toast. Now I have a toaster that goes right up to 10 but anything under 5 just leaves the toast white. The committee for toasters and kettles (I kid you not) have decreed that only low powered toasters and kettles can be used which means cold coffee and white toast unless you use them 3 or 4 times to get the desired effect.  I suppose I could use photoshop to change the colour or go back to burnt toast under the grill. Now I was undecided on the brexit but my mind has just been made up, perhaps it is not pc to have a bit of colour in my toast, it will be smothered in butter anyway so who will know.

Perhaps I am in a minority wanting brown toast, it might be de rigueur to have white toast nowadays. But surely minorities should be looked after. My mornings will never be the same again with my multi cultural breakfast. Columbian coffee, toast and Dundee marmalade followed by a gauloises cigarette. I know I shouldn't as they make me cough, but it is the only exercise I get nowadays.

picman

• Acre
Re: Toast
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:05:49 »
Well said ace ... A few years ago EU decreed only 6 ltr flush on toilets, (not 9)  to save water, now most flush twice...   

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:31:56 »
Totally agree ace. Here are some of my thoughts.

Where is the manifesto with all this pointless meddling in? Do you remember voting for it? Can you vote the Kettles and Toasters Committee out?

We had perfectly good British standards before and if we ran our affairs again in our own interest we could have whatever kettles, toasters and anything else we liked.

Companies selling to the EU would obviously have to abide by their standards just as our exporters to Japan, China or USA have to do now. Nearly 90% of British business do not sell abroad so would be free of EU meddling.

If a sovereign British government tried to implement such a ban we could vote them out at the next election but as members of the EU the government must implement this ban as we gave up control over our industrial policy years ago.

So it's time we told the EU exactly where they can stick their puny toasters. :blob7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 13:19:19 »
I remember (misspent youth and all that!  :happy7:)  making toast with a one bar electric fire.  Worked perfectly well.  Can't see why a properly designed lower power toaster would not work.  As I remember burning the toast was more of a problem, not pale toast.

There is a lot to be said for more efficient, lower power domestic electric items.  The likes of Dyson have excelled at making the most efficient motors etc.  I call that progress not reason to despair :wave:

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 13:41:55 »
Ace, you have nailed it for me too.  Couldn't believe the headlines this a.m.  So now we can add beige toast, cold tea and coffee to our dusty carpets, which need going over several times with the new non sucking vacuums.  Where is the green in having to use several times the electricity to use kettles and toasters twice or three times to get a good burnish on our toast, or a decent cuppa?

Is there no end to the madness of these men - sorry I feel it must be men, no woman would ever be party to such household madness - in suits, sitting in their ivory tower in Brussels?  What next?  We've already got light bulbs that don't emit light, vacuums that don't suck, green cleaning products that don't clean, now kettles that won't boil and toasters that won't toast.  My husband says his rustproof paint (can I mention Hammerite here?) no longer protects from rust, paint stripper (ditto Nitromors) that now does not strip paint.  So watch out for scissors and knives which don't cut, hedgetrimmers which won't trim, and shears which won't sheer - it's inevitable!

Brexit, here I come, and I never thought I'd say that!

Caro

aro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 14:09:55 »
Are you lot really not aware that the UK provides a proportionate number of civil servants to man and woman the EU?   They work together in different departments to make rules on anything and everything and, like any bureaucrat, like to justify their existence by making up rules and regs - just like in your local government and the British/Scottish/Welsh/Irish civil service and devolved governments.

The EU has signed up to treaties to reduce energy consumption.  This has lead to greater efficiency requirements for domestic and industrial machinery.  My toaster turns my toast brown.  My vacuum cleaner sucks well - tho I'll never buy a Dyson again as it's a pig to empty.  My hairdryer copes with my long, thick hair.  The steam iron does its job.   What on earth are you all moaning about?   Been reading the red tops?   Buying stuff made in China?

Something else you have to consider is that UK bureaucrats and jobsworths over interpret EU rules - again to justify their existence.   UK society and government have evolved over a millennium since the last invasion in 1066.   British citizens have a habit of obeying rules because they have been their own, brought in by democratically elected governments.   

Most mainland EU countries have had to cope with serial invasions and conquests and occupations by foreign powers since Roman times.  Germany has only been a united country since 1870, Italy since 1860, Belgium independent since 1831.   The Spanish had a painful civil war and years of oppression and dictatorship.   The eastern EU countries have had to deal with Soviet oppression for decades.    Their psyche has evolved to get round rules other peoples' rules and regs and to cling on to their national identity so they don't apply EU rules with the same vigour as the UK.

Think on and try and be a bit more understanding and open minded.   Even if the UK were not in the EU, some jobsworth would have imposed the same limits on domestic appliance power consumption because the UK also signed up to the treaties to reduce greenhouse gases and global warming.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 14:35:50 by Obelixx »
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 16:48:12 »
I am not the only one who is worried about the meddling. The EEC  itself is sufficiently worried about the issue, so much so they have told the toaster and kettle committee to put the ban on hold until after the neverendum.  That is reason enough for me to not trust them, so out for me.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 17:31:48 »
Are you lot really not aware that the UK provides a proportionate number of civil servants to man and woman the EU?   They work together in different departments to make rules on anything and everything and, like any bureaucrat, like to justify their existence by making up rules and regs - just like in your local government and the British/Scottish/Welsh/Irish civil service and devolved governments.

The EU has signed up to treaties to reduce energy consumption.  This has lead to greater efficiency requirements for domestic and industrial machinery.  My toaster turns my toast brown.  My vacuum cleaner sucks well - tho I'll never buy a Dyson again as it's a pig to empty.  My hairdryer copes with my long, thick hair.  The steam iron does its job.   What on earth are you all moaning about?   Been reading the red tops?   Buying stuff made in China?

Something else you have to consider is that UK bureaucrats and jobsworths over interpret EU rules - again to justify their existence.   UK society and government have evolved over a millennium since the last invasion in 1066.   British citizens have a habit of obeying rules because they have been their own, brought in by democratically elected governments.   

Most mainland EU countries have had to cope with serial invasions and conquests and occupations by foreign powers since Roman times.  Germany has only been a united country since 1870, Italy since 1860, Belgium independent since 1831.   The Spanish had a painful civil war and years of oppression and dictatorship.   The eastern EU countries have had to deal with Soviet oppression for decades.    Their psyche has evolved to get round rules other peoples' rules and regs and to cling on to their national idetity so they don't apply EU rules with the same vigour as the UK.

Think on and try and be a bit more understanding and open minded.   Even if the UK were not in the EU, some jobsworth would have imposed the same limits on domestic appliance power consumption because the UK also signed up to the treaties to reduce greenhouse gases and global warming.
i don't normally get involved on here about governments EU and all that however yes your ave Brit has had  no invaders for a while so you can understand us being a little touchy given we gave the world a model to which most guvs run their countries and being head of the commonwealth and as you point out devolution at every turn  i just think this green and pleasent land should trade and make laws and be held responsible for its own destiny and self rule like the rest of the world is trying to do we can ill afford another influx of migrants from new member states our health service is in decline at breaking point in some places pension ages are increasing  i think its time to wipe the slate clean and end our relationship with our Eu masters  and stand once again as a proud  nation  with no ties no taxes no  trade agreements only those made by us thats great britain brexit for me
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 20:42:40 »
Dont " do " politics myself, dont trust ANY of them to be frank. I would take the forthcoming 'R**fferendum' a bit more seriously if ALL my 'fellow ' Europeans were allowed to vote on whether they or we should stay in a 'glorified, non audit-able, glee club' where no account of the members wishes was sought, or heeded.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 21:16:28 »
I could not agree more.

Let us never give up our rights to be sold badly designed inefficient and unsafe electrical appliances. Also the people demand the right for builders to put up draughty and poorly insulated homes.

As for the ban on straight bananas, well don't get me started on that one.

Now I am started I cannot remember if the ban was on bent ones.

Anyway who are the EU to be telling bananas what shape they should be?

Did the bananas get a vote?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 16:35:09 »
Now this is a subject I would normally avoid commenting on as in these forums it to easily becomes a war between users with different views which has nothing to do with the actual forum objective like here allotments.

However being someone who voted against joining the common market and would normally be for brexit I am now wavering however.

For the fact whether we would be better in or out as  far as I can see we would be well able to stand on our own feet in the world should we leave this bureaucratic nonsense.

However I am becoming a little concerned on whether us leaving could initiate the break up of the EU and the security it has formed in the world.

On a side note I hope the new data protection laws do not mean Dan has to close down A4A when it comes into force next year.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 20:22:17 »
What a load of gobbledegook on this thread!  Who would have thought that there could be so many Daily Mail readers who are members of A4A.  The fact that people are taken in by the rubbish they read is unbelievable.   :BangHead:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 07:19:30 »
What a load of gobbledegook on this thread!  Who would have thought that there could be so many Daily Mail readers who are members of A4A.  The fact that people are taken in by the rubbish they read is unbelievable.   :BangHead:
Generally the distinguishing feature of the D M readership, is that they CAN read!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 10:00:33 »
I am not getting too involved with this thread but why do I keep thinking of the. BS Kitemark, COSHE rules and of course the good old Health & Welfare Executive ( elf& welfare).

Why is it when I read my RHS magazine that they advise us that some plant treatment (with a Kitemark) has been banned,or because of the freedom of movement a plant disease has appeared in the UK possibly brought in on imported plants or some migrant that has brought a few seeds from home.

Now. I am all for change if it is for the better but I think the changes here are just for the sake of change so that the EU exec can find a solution to a common problem choose what the outcome.

But sadly the world over you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the time.

My chief concern is. I want Britain to be one nation, not four, so let's get out of Europe  and concentrate on the ' Home Front'

It worked well in 1914 & 1939 when we kept Germany out, not to mention Italy, are we going to let them in through the back door I hope not!

We helped France no end during the war but they would not let us into the EU when I think it would have been a good time. I would not mind betting they will not want us to leave now simply because of the money we put in the Kitty to subsidise their farming industry.

Our problem is our own government they have decimated our manufacturing industry to a point where we have to buy these cheap toasters and diseased plants.

Let's fetch back the Kitemark, the Union Jack logo and if it gives more power to 'elf & wlelf' which in my opinion is a small price to pay the changes we need.

I am in full flow now but I think it is time to vacate the ' soapbox' to someone else.

BTW  no offence was intended with these comments as they are only what they are.....my opinion...Tg

picman

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 10:02:02 »
Calling opinions 'gobbledegook' would not seem a very informed argument,  reading any newspaper does not mean you believe every thing that is printed. For me as a UK tax payer for 50+ years when I read that for the last 21 years auditors have failed to give the EU's budget a clean bill of health . Auditors found €133.6 billion of EU cash in 2014 was "materially affected by error". If Paulines7  was a member of a club and each year that committee could not account where its cash had gone,  would it not be time to leave....

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 14:24:22 »
I am advised that the VAT collected in the UK becomes our contribution to EU. Can anybody confirm that IF the country votes to leave, that the collection of VAT becomes defunct and the new price of goods and services automatically falls to the VAT exclusive price, as of 24/06/16.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 15:09:06 »
Of course not.  Taxes won't change, just who they go to and who spends them.  VAT is just another name for the old purchase tax.

There are only 2 things sure in life - death and taxes.

I really do think it's naive to think that local, county and national government and civil service will suddenly become more accountable and more efficient if the UK leaves Europe.   I believe the UK works well as a whole and is stronger together with a more or less equal playing field for taxes, subsidies, jobs , schooling, health care etc. even though few people ever spell out exactly how much the English are taxed to subsidise provision of such services in the rest of the UK and how much they receive in return.  The difference is actually quite large.  As of March 2015 the Scots had £1200 per head more spent on them than the English and all from central coffers.

The Scots have their own parliament yet can also make decisions that affect the English, Welsh and Irish who have no say in much of Scottish policy.   If you think that's OK, then I don't see where EU+UK is any different.   Stronger together and working from the inside to improve things.

If not, the logical consequence of Brexit is also to equalise the situation with English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments of equal domestic rule and tax rasiing power but that will naturally lead to London and the South East wanting self determination and no longer subsidising the north or the south west.  How far are you willing to go down that road?  Have you thought that far? 
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 17:12:59 »
Of course not.  Taxes won't change, just who they go to and who spends them.  VAT is just another name for the old purchase tax.

There are only 2 things sure in life - death and taxes.

I really do think it's naive to think that local, county and national government and civil service will suddenly become more accountable and more efficient if the UK leaves Europe.   I believe the UK works well as a whole and is stronger together with a more or less equal playing field for taxes, subsidies, jobs , schooling, health care etc. even though few people ever spell out exactly how much the English are taxed to subsidise provision of such services in the rest of the UK and how much they receive in return.  The difference is actually quite large.  As of March 2015 the Scots had £1200 per head more spent on them than the English and all from central coffers.

The Scots have their own parliament yet can also make decisions that affect the English, Welsh and Irish who have no say in much of Scottish policy.   If you think that's OK, then I don't see where EU+UK is any different.   Stronger together and working from the inside to improve things.

If not, the logical consequence of Brexit is also to equalise the situation with English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish parliaments of equal domestic rule and tax rasiing power but that will naturally lead to London and the South East wanting self determination and no longer subsidising the north or the south west.  How far are you willing to go down that road?  Have you thought that far? 

Yeh, but what about my toast.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 20:13:14 »
On a lighter note, OH is suffering watching the live final of the Eurovision song contest with me. He asked me "if we come out of the EU, will we then be ineligible for the Eurovision Song Contest? Because it could seriously make my mind up for me....."  :drunken_smilie:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 20:28:58 »
Worry not. :icon_cheers:

The Eurovision Song Contest is organised by national broadcasters and has nothing at all to do with the EU.

That is why Norway, Russia, Israel, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Australia are allowed to compete and they are not in the EU. Nor is Turkey and Ukraine.....Yet. :tongue3:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal