Author Topic: Damping off  (Read 13464 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
Damping off
« on: January 03, 2011, 18:09:21 »
Now that cheshunt compound has been withdrawn what can be used as an alternative  or how can i stop it happening to start with . Many thanx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Damping off
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 21:49:13 »
Cheshunt compound is based of copper sulphate, as is bordeaux mix. I wonder whether they're interchangeable?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 22:25:52 »
I read somewhere that steeping used camomile (however that is spelled) teabags and diluting it and using that to water seedlings helps prevent damping off...don't know if it is true but tried it once along with a few other changes it worked but was too unscientific to prove anything. Someone said the acid may be what  helps.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 23:51:10 »
Avoiding what causes damping off is the best approach!

Too much water and cool conditions at soil level is the principle cause of damping of.

I minimise the causes as follows;

Sowing: soak seed compost well prior to sowing the seed on it then if the seeds require d
'dark' to germinate spread a light covering of seed compost over the seeds then cover this with a layer of vermiculite or perlite.

This will create a warmish layer at soil level where the seedlings emerge thus reducing the chances of damping off.

If the seeds require ' light' to germinate then omit the compost covering and only place the layer of vermiculite or perlite.

If you have got your watering right you should not need to water again till after germination.

If you require to water seedlings prior to pricking out have a pump spray at hand with a little fungicide(any type) and spray them lightly to keep them going,this should suffice.

If you feel that the tray has dried out( I.e. It has been too warm) sit the seed tray in a tray of water and dampen the compost from below.

Pricking out;  again soak the compost and allow it to drain off before placing the seedling/ s in it.

Sinking the seedling down to the seed leaves can be an advantage as this reduces the area of stem/ root that is most susceptible to rotting( damping off) .

Aftercare; again watch the watering,temperatures and ventilation carefully!

Use the hand spray with the fungicide mixture if watering is required prior to the seedling becoming established.

What you want to avoid is cold compost at the point the plant emerges from it,watering makes this area colder than the compost below and the air above which is the main cause of damping off.

You could add a light covering of vermiculite or perlite to the compost surface ( like the commercial people do) as a precaution.

I stopped using cheshunt compound simply because it was necessary to water it on and it didn't always work hence my reason for practicing the procedure I described above...........that is; the water killed off my plants.

OK I sometimes have seedlings damp off on me but generally when I look at the issue more closely the fault was mine! ..............generally it was down to my watering regime!........... Carelessness/ laziness!

So that's my opinion on the subject!

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 18:51:00 »
I'm pretty much with Tee Gee on this. I would just add one other factor tho' - choice of compost; 'multipurpose' compost is quite high in nutrients which could feed and encourage fungal disease. I prefer to 'dilute' bought compost with sand. This opens up the compost and aids drainage, as well as reducing the nutrient levels - leading to better root development.
Given reasonable temperatures, natural light (sunlight is a natural fungicide), and ventilation to keep the humidity level from getting too high, I find it's rarely an issue.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 22:29:13 »
[quote author=Ian Pearson link=topic=64566.msg659304#msg659304 date= I would just add one other factor tho' - choice of compost; 'multipurpose' compost is quite high in nutrients which could feed and encourage fungal disease. I prefer to 'dilute' bought compost with sand. This opens up the compost and aids drainage, as well as reducing the nutrient levels - leading to better root development.

[/quote]

I would like to clarify a point here and that is;

Yes! Dilute the seed compost for the reasons Ian has given but not the potting on compost that the seedlings are pricked out in.

If using multi- purpose compost there should be sufficient nutrients in it to sustain the plants for about 4-6 weeks subject to plant being grown.

Potting compost will last a little longer.

What do you think Ian ?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 08:57:23 »
How long does cheshunt compound last cos I still have a tin from 3 years ago
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:03:24 »
Thankyou for the tips , I've got a bag of sand outside, whent he rian stops im going to mix a special seed sowing bag of compost and sand and root out my perlite from the shed  :)
x sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:12:57 »
It'll last forever if it's kept dry; there's nothing that's going to go off.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 01:07:32 »
I just read an article on damping off in an old, old copy of Organic Monthly that says that if you plant seeds inside a layer of sterile compost then it doesn't matter if the compost lower down isn't sterile...

This means you don't need much per tray - the sort of amounts it's very easy to sterilise in a microwave.

You do need to take care with microwaves (check out the web for do's and don'ts), but providing you don't leave anything daft in - well I've never had any problem - certainly not with bits of gravel that are supposed to explode, but don't.

The worst part is the smell - if you can't give the kitchen a few hours to clear each time then I'd recommend keeping an eye open on the street for abandoned microwaves...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 07:56:43 »
Well I will be ok for years to come then cos i only use a couple of teasps a year
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 08:27:24 »
I'm with TeeGee- ever since I started using vermiculite on the surface i've had no problem with damping off- and better germination.

Ian Pearson

• Acre
    • Growing Oca
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 14:54:22 »
would like to clarify a point here and that is;

Yes! Dilute the seed compost for the reasons Ian has given but not the potting on compost that the seedlings are pricked out in.

If using multi- purpose compost there should be sufficient nutrients in it to sustain the plants for about 4-6 weeks subject to plant being grown.

Potting compost will last a little longer.

What do you think Ian ?

Yes, sorry, I should have made that clearer. It used to be possible to buy seed compost (low nutrient compost) but it is difficult to find now.
I also get good sowing results using old spent potting compost (with a bit of sand added, and maybe some wood ash). I don't sterilise it - I think providing a sterile soil surface lays it open to more rapid colonisation by any airborne spores arriving after sterilisation.

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:04:40 »
I've found that using vermiculite or perlite on the surface and resisting overwatering prevents damping off.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:38 »
I do the same and water from the bottom  :)

ZPitre

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 01:41:50 »
These are all very resourceful solutions to damping off!

If any of you are still searching for the real Cheshunt Compound, you might be able to find some for sale on ebay...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:44:44 by ZPitre »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal