Author Topic: Tayberry  (Read 3725 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Tayberry
« on: November 01, 2015, 20:31:27 »

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Tayberry
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 21:20:48 »
treat as you do blackberrys cut down all old fruited growth fruit will appear on this seasons growth next year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 18:10:30 »
 I know this going off subject a little but has anyone got any advise on clearing creeping buttercups from a raspberry bed  would it be possible to weed killer spray once the stems have been cut down

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 18:23:28 »
I know this going off subject a little but has anyone got any advise on clearing creeping buttercups from a raspberry bed  would it be possible to weed killer spray once the stems have been cut down
you could do if they are autumn fruiting i would fist cut the canes to 10 inches or so then place a plastic bag over the canes then spray the creepers next day remove the bags and cut down to ground level
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 18:35:04 »
Be brutal.  Watch out for the thorns!!

Treat like a blackberry.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 19:16:07 »
advice on clearing creeping buttercups from a raspberry bed

The buttercups are generally shallow rooted so sticking a hand or border fork under them and gently easing upwards should be sufficient to remove them without disturbing the deeper rooted Rasberry canes.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 18:44:48 »
https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/1909/carbon-steel-japanese-razor-hoe-right-handed/

Agree about scraping buttercups out from among raspberries (asparagus etc), and this is my favourite tool for doing it. Slice them off their roots, and as long as you have removed the growing point, the roots simply rot away.  I regard buttercup roots as breaking up the ground and then providing nutrition as they decay. They certainly never grow again once the growing point is sliced off and composted.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 19:20:54 »
I've got one of those tools as well- a little pricey (I asked for it as a Christmas present) but really useful!

brownthumb2

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 06:33:49 »
Thanks for all your help will try  slicing the tops of butter cups off

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 18:15:59 »
Buttercups are easy to remove; the thing to watch for is the seedlings as they seed all over the place.

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 18:57:46 »
https://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/products/1909/carbon-steel-japanese-razor-hoe-right-handed/

Agree about scraping buttercups out from among raspberries (asparagus etc), and this is my favourite tool for doing it.

thanks for the link to that, I haven't seen those before and I have even more buttercups than nettles and brambles in the garden. I think I'll order one for myself and one for a friend for Christmas as you guys rate it so highly!  Does it arrive sharp or do you have to sharpen it?
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 17:33:19 »
It's not all that sharp, to be honest, but the edge it arrives with is very good at slicing buttercups off their roots, and even at shallowly cultivating the ground. I have used mine so viciously and often that the edge is rather battered - but it remains very effective. I should try sharpening it, I suppose.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal