Author Topic: heated propagator  (Read 8056 times)

ACE

• Hectare
heated propagator
« on: January 23, 2016, 10:15:08 »
It arrived this morning, now what is the best seeds to start with?

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: heated propagator
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:50:11 »
My preference for this time of year would be probably Tomatoes but I guess any of the less hardy plants that require a longer growing season for planting out later.
A heated propagator really is for those plants you might end up buying in May because you could not start them from seed early enough.

I am sure TeeGee has a guide on his web site
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 12:09:57 »
You might like to try cape gooseberry (physallis edulis I think) which needs an early start, they're a nice little fruit, easy growing like a bush tomato once they get started.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 12:14:45 »
I have my shallots and early torpedo onions in mine, a bit later than I'd planned but chillies and peppers will be going in soon, then the tomatoes.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 12:23:29 »
Yep, shallots, primo, toms and caulis in, plus a tub of mustard and cress just to keep somebody happy, as that was my argument for getting one.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 14:16:12 »
giant onions in mine going on holiday middle of feb so will fill it up when i get home
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 16:29:39 »
You might like to try cape gooseberry (physallis edulis I think)

Mine are last years plants overwintering in the greenhouse.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 10:51:23 »
Habanero peppers are particularly slow for me, and desperately need the extra time - especially the milder 'seasoning' kinds where having the biggest possible crop is an advantage - you can always buy the hot ones if you need them.  Aubergines benefit because then you might get a few fruits just before they become £1 a kilo in the shops.

I do use my propagator for Physalis pruinosa (the annual one that has a lighter taste) but not until March because they do better in real sunshine.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 15:02:47 »
What make of propagator did you buy ACE? I am looking to buy one this year.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 16:53:33 »
What make of propagator did you buy ACE? I am looking to buy one this year.

Duke

got mine for xmas from my daughter-in-law its the bigger stewart one i think in the current grow your own  or gardeners world mag there is a article about best buys this might help you

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 20:50:27 »
Thanks Johnny I will check both of those out!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 14:58:23 »
The 52cm Stewart one that's on offer at the moment from Amazon. Everything I planted  is popping up now after just 5 days, there is no variable heat on it, but it must be set right at the factory. 

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 16:54:54 »
The 52cm Stewart one that's on offer at the moment from Amazon. Everything I planted  is popping up now after just 5 days, there is no variable heat on it, but it must be set right at the factory. 
yes ace that's it when i return from holiday I'm going to fill it up tomatoes sweet peppers and chillis spring will be here a little earlier this year

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 20:47:16 »

If it had a thermostat is would be settable (and a lot more expensive) - it makes no mention of PTCs either so it has no way to respond to any change in ambient temp.

If it is working well at this time of year in the room it is in, then Ok but it will run hotter when the weather warms up enough to turn off the central heating thermostat in the room it is in now.

If you've got it in an unheated room it will reach a different temp every time the weather changes.

Direct sunlight is a nightmare for propagators without thermostats - for the ones with them too - they just give you a small but useful margin for error and neglect.

Vents aren't that much use to compensate for the lack of a thermostat because they work on humidity and warmth at the same time and sometimes these can be opposing requirements.

I do use a cheap propagator that's underpowered (for chillis, aubergines) in a normal winter in my unheated sunroom - but I compensate by putting it in a foam fishbox if the weather is cold, and I simply don't use it  in direct sun - certainly not once the sun starts to make a difference.

I have a much better home-made thermostat system available for later - it's just a lot harder to keep it sterile so I use it for healthy seedlings not seeds.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 21:39:54 »
Mine is out in the cold greenhouse and with the variations in the weather this last week a lack of a thermostat does not seem to have affected it. All the seeds, toms, shallots and primo have all germinated. I put a wet felt mat in the bottom, used damp compost for planting, then just left it alone.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:40 »
I am doing a bit of an experiment, I have four seed tray propagators on the go with shallot seeds in,  two above a radiator in the kitchen, two on a heated mat which I got for Christmas. Both are showing signs of growth after five days which is sooner than I was expecting!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal