Author Topic: apples help  (Read 4335 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
apples help
« on: September 18, 2015, 15:16:24 »
Spartan apples     fair few have a small hole in and  small caterpillar in then   how do i protect  next year ?
Grease band ? when  do i put on ? Tree bit big for spraying and don't really want spray if poss ?

2nd question   Sunset cordon on wire fence  about 12 years old good crop but something is eating the skin off  see pictures any ideas please ??
i don't belive death is the end

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: apples help
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 21:09:43 »
dont know what that is if you dont want to spray a grease band painted on in april and maybe give the trees a winter wash you can get organic ones and they do help hope it will work for you best of luck :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 22:20:10 »
A coddling moth trap helps with the grubs in the apples.  The second picture looks like caterpillars or slugs perhaps, not sure.  Hope somebody else knows for definite.   :wave:

http://www.millracegardencentre.co.uk/agralan-codling-moth-trap.html?utm_source=googlebase&gclid=CjwKEAjw7O6vBRDpi7O-8OWSkwESJACNFsgxgCl65KXDvdBHA8IsqKckw7EZzA2uGLpQqeyO44nyixoCRt3w_wcB

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 18:12:57 »
If the first picture definitely is codling moth, you should roughly estimate what proportion of your crop is being lost. If only 10 per cent of your apples are affected, it is not worth bothering about.
Round here we lose 40 per cent on unsprayed trees, so reluctantly I spray and it works.
I have tried most other actions and for me they don't work. I did cut my losses to about 25 per cent by picking up every early-fallen apple the day it dropped and ensure it never went anywhere near a compost heap. This was only partly-effective but it was low-cost.
If your tree is too big to spray, how do you achieve the other management requirements i.e. pruning, thinning and picking? Do you have no fungal diseases (scab, canker)?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 19:05:24 »
 The smaller apple looks to me a bit like bird damage.  We have problems with starlings.  The other I would suggest snails, as slugs do not seem to climb very far.   

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 17:33:47 »
codling moth has become a problem this yr tree is about 14ft high  pruned   
nothing else  in problems though

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 14:25:27 »
 :tongue3:

ok folks  thanks What can i spray my tree with and recommendations  on what to use against this moth and when ????PLEASE

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:35:18 »
codling moth. I have young M26 trees and they produced well this year but quite a bit of codling damage. I can`t stand by any longer, I would love to keep most apples in my cool insulated dark shed throughout the winter. Belt and braces coming up: I have put a 10 cm strip of grease around each trunk and will definitely be spraying with provado twice next year, about the 3rd week in june and again about 3 weeks later. I am surrounded by an unsprayed orchard so me spraying my trees is going to be the only thing that works for me. The grease was messy and probably won`t work on its own anyway. I don`t spray anything else in my garden or allotment but am thinking that I have 2-3 months for the provado to disappear before picking

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:41:58 »
Like others, in my local area there are lots of nearby neglected apple trees passing on to me the full range of pests and diseases so I have to spray. I never spray unless the pest or disease is absolutely intolerable and for me codling moth certainly is.
The RHS recommendation against codling moth is Bayer Garden Greenfly Killer and it works for me. The active ingredient is deltamethrin an organo-phosphorus chemical (all other similar chemicals have been banned for the amateur by the EU - well done for once). You must be very careful that the spray only goes on the target trees and not elsewhere.
 I have found that the number of sprayings can be cut down from two or three to only one if you can time it right. My signal for spraying is the unmistakeble arrival on my Solomans Seal plants of the Solomans Seal Sawfly in May or June.
I do not use grease bands.   

Gavin63

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:05:43 »
Deltamethrin is a synthetic pyrethroid of low toxicity(Not an  organo-phosphate).A spray in mid/late June and another 2-3 weeks later should be sufficient to control codling moth in most seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal