Author Topic: Climbing French Beans going brown  (Read 2702 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Climbing French Beans going brown
« on: September 23, 2015, 22:02:47 »
For the last two years the climbing French beans that I have grown have done absolutely  fine until the end of August then in September the leaves have stared to go brown from the edges , then yellow and dropped off. Now the pods are showing brown blotches. Any idea what it could be?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Climbing French Beans going brown
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:11 »
THe plants are reaching the ends of their lives and the pods are ripening up to dry out. All perfectly normal. Leave them in until the pods have dried and you've got seed for next year.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 20:40:46 »
I didn't realise that they had a limited lifespan like peas. Presumably the answer is to succession sow.
I never had this happen with runner beans. Is there a reason why French beans behave differently?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 22:27:37 »
I think variety plays a large part in this as some have a longer growing season than others.

I find that I can get two sowings of Cobra in a season and my mate goes for three.

But we both grow them under cover,he in a tunnel and me in a greenhouse.

I have grown Blue Lake outdoors this year and they like yours are now over for the season.

Similarly with dwarf varieties I only expect one crop per season if grown outdoors.

I hope that answers your query...Tg

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 22:58:16 »
I've been growing Isabel & Musica.

On a slightly different tack I obtained some Yardlong bean seed from a supplier last year and tried it but after growing OK in root-trainers when planted out it fizzled out into nothing. I read it needs warmer temperatures so tried it out in the greenhouse this year and it grew one measly bean so won't be bothering about it next year!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 23:49:02 »
Looked them up one is a runner bean (musica) the other Isabel is a French bean I have never grown these varieties before.

The suppliers give a clue in their sales literature vis:

Isabel produces plentiful clusters of pencil-podded, long, green beans for many weeks through the summer.

They say many WEEKS and SUMMER  where others varieties might say over a long period rather than 'weeks add to that, it is now Autumn

So by my reckoning you have bought a short lived variety.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:30:59 »
So by my reckoning you have bought a short lived variety.
[/quote]

TeeGee, I agree with you there.  Musica is an early producer and may not repeat (most French beans have a second flush or go more or less continuously).   But Musica is also a French Bean according to my experience, not a runner bean. 

It is however the type of bean that appears in shops, imported from Spain, that wrongly says Runnerbean on the package.

Musica is what is called a 'Romano' type of bean: long, wide and flat.   :wave:
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:02:57 by galina »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 13:41:52 »
I've grown Cobra this year for the first time and they've been a revelation- the best beans I've ever grown! Lovely texture and taste and prolific!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 14:00:20 »
I take your point Galina about musica, when I read that it was a pole bean and was long and flat I immediately thought of a runner bean.Thank you I stand corrected but as I said I have never grown either of them before.

I did notice that they were a sixty day variety hence the short lived comment.

Glad to see you have found Cobra Caroline I agree with your findings totally.

Now a tip!

Let a few dry off on the plant or finish them off on the greenhouse shelf,pod them, store them in a paper bag in a cool dark place and you will save yourself a few bob on your next years seed order.

I haven't bought any for a few years now, might buy some fresh ones this year to ensure my stock hasn't crossed with anything. Having said that this  shouldn't happen really as they are the only beans I grow under cover.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal