Author Topic: Raised Bed Plants Recommendation Please  (Read 2045 times)

rutters

• Half Acre
Raised Bed Plants Recommendation Please
« on: September 13, 2015, 20:06:06 »
Got a spare raised bed 10'x5' and am looking for something to grow in it. Preferably it's perennial, low maintenance and edible (fruit OR veg).

Got strawberries in the other one which I appreciate as they look after themselves.

Thanks 
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

mrrigsby

• Not So New ...
Re: Raised Bed Plants Recommendation Please
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:51:29 »
How about asparagus? A little initial preparation then you're good for 20 years.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:00 »
Autumn raspberries?  They are quite tough, should like having roots above ground level and you get raspberries.

What's not to love?

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 15:14:51 »
I'll suggest one of the perennial kales. Good for three to five years and can be kept going from cuttings. :happy7:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 17:06:45 »
I have rhubarb, pinkcurrants and artichokes grown from seed in my 'spare' raised bed when I had a similar problem..... :happy7:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

rutters

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 20:16:29 »
Thanks to all. Tried asparagus but failed abysmally :BangHead:

Any more info on pink currants, are they sweet? 

Another thought I had was cape gooseberries. Anyone grow these as an outdoor perennial?

Thanks again

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 10:04:06 »
Pinkcurrants are very sweet, I prefer them to redcurrants and they look attractive too, the birds don'yt seem to go for them as much either. Gloire du Sablon is the variety I have. I've also got some growing in metal buckets where I moved them from my other plot, they seem quite happy!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:17 »
I have managed to nurse my cape gooseberries through 2 winters now in a greenhouse - but that's only with protection from any frost - they are definitely tender.  I think you'd only get them through winter outside in an extremely sheltered spot if you cut them down to the stumps in autumn and gave them a very generous coat of straw - even then it's not guaranteed.  They self seed - but I find that the seeds only germinate outside quite late on in the summer - probably too late to get a crop from.

My suggestions would be Taunton Deane Kale if you can net it up to 7 foot tall! (I can send you some stems to get you started if you like - one of my plants lasted 7 years) ... also globe artichokes are a nice easy maintenance perennial.  I'm tempted to say give asparagus another chance because my first attempt was absolutely disastrous too - but my second attempt with better 2 year old crowns from a proper asparagus nursery and far more careful soil preparation and care through the first year has been rewarded with a really good established bed which looks strong enough to last for years now.

rutters

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 17:39:49 »
Thank you so much for your helpful advice and extremely kind offer.

My first choice was asparagus but I just couldn't get it to'take'. Only got 1 or 2 spindly stalks. I don't think it was sunny enough and the soil not fine enough.

Thanks again :happy7:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal