Author Topic: Potatoes in containers and slugs  (Read 3971 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Potatoes in containers and slugs
« on: September 12, 2015, 19:34:00 »
After having my spud crop decimated by slugs I have decided to grow next years in containers. What I would like to know is do you have to use slug pellets in containers or are the generally slug free. I don't want to sound paranoid about slugs, but I hate seeing all my hard work ruined! :wave:
Paul

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Potatoes in containers and slugs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 20:26:42 »
im trying the container method for the first time all main crop and they are still growing strong and i have a bad back at the mo so will be emptying them soon and ill take some pics good or bad im really looking forward to see the result
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 20:31:11 »
Have your potatoes been got at by slugs or wireworms. The tuber damage can look superficially similar but wireworm damage is confined to a relatively narrow bore whereas slug damage is a much more extensive hollowing out within the tuber.

Planting in containers should combat the wireworm damage completely as the click beetle larvae (wireworms) live in the soil. It shouldn't hurt to also put a few slug pellets in your potato planters if only to give your crop a fighting chance. :happy7:

The guy who runs Allotment Diary http://www.allotment-diary.co.uk/ grows excellent clean container potatoes using a specially formulated potato fertilizer called spuds galore. He has a video up this month showing what he has achieved with King Edwards. The fertilizer is quite pricy but you only need 2oz per container.

So give it a go spuds without wireworm damage is well worth trying for. :happy7:

As an aside I've come to the view that the idea of using a crop of potatoes to help clean up neglected plots would only work for first and probably second earlies since wireworms are more prevalent in grass (couch?) and most active in late july/august so main crops stand much more chance of being hit hard.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 20:33:13 by ed dibbles »

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 08:59:25 »
Thanks ed I think both wire worms and  slugs both took their toll on my spuds. I enjoy watching the allotment diary videos on YouTube, I think his advice is better than any gardening show I've seen. I will give container spuds a go, because you can't beat home grown ones. :wave:
Paul

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 19:22:26 »
this is 1 compost bag of spuds there are a bit scabby but otherwise im well impressed with the result

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 19:29:25 »
Johnnyco15, nice crop of spuds. What did they weigh and how man litres was the container you used?
Paul

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 19:33:40 »
its was my first go at it i think around 30 but cant be sure as they grew i put more in but had some this evening tasted great carnt even tell you the variety i never write anything down not like tg he documents everthing lol

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 04:51:33 »
its was my first go at it i think around 30 but cant be sure as they grew i put more in but had some this evening tasted great carnt even tell you the variety i never write anything down not like tg he documents everthing lol

How do you know what you want to grow again next year then?

I'm another person who likes to document everything - I have only a small space so I can't afford to waste it on varieties that don't do very well for me. And there's no way I'll remember anything come spring if I don't write it down!

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 05:56:43 »
Did ou you use multipurpose compost of soil from the plot, did you add any fertiliser?
Paul

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:59 »
Little red note book for me......veg garden front...turn over upside down ornamental garden back . Keeps in handbag with a pencil . Write every thing I do and needs to be done in it . Is at the ready when visiting the garden centre ,B&Q,Poundland etc
Make note of the weather ,and date,things done and especially names of seeds ,varieties of everything, make a little map of veg garden , just little scribbled drawings  really ...next year buy new red book , but keep old one to refer to .  ALWAYS DO THIS ! IT REALLY HELPS.   :coffee2: Debbie :)
Trespassers will be composted !

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 10:15:13 »
A single dose of Nemaslug during a rainy spell in July/early August should pretty much do for the slugs that cause the most damage to spuds.... if we get a wet summer then earlier might work too...

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 17:11:05 »
Did ou you use multipurpose compost of soil from the plot, did you add any fertiliser?
i used the cheapest compost i could find from the local garden centre 2 pound for 50 liters just watered comfry tea  once a fortnight hope this helps and i never know what potato variety i get it all depends on the farmer in our dart team what he plants i get lol :glasses9: :glasses9: :glasses9: :glasses9: :glasses9:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal