Author Topic: Greengage tree  (Read 1618 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Greengage tree
« on: September 11, 2015, 07:21:23 »
After tasting greengages for the first time and loving them, I have decided to boy myself a tree. Can anyone recommend an online supplier or nursery. I have bought a few dud fruit trees in my time, from the likes of Gardenbargains. Thanks for any advice you can offer. :wave:
Paul

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Greengage tree
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 08:39:42 »
I bought most of our fruit trees from Deacon's Nursery.  One grapevine was mislabelled - it happens everywhere, but the trees were excellent and all as ordered.  Whether I should have gone for a geographically closer nursery with more similar soil to ours wasn't something I considered at the time.  They were the one nursery that had what I wanted and on the rootstocks that I wanted.  Despite differences in soil and climate the trees were raised in and ours, everything settled in well here and produced early too.

http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/?s=gage&post_type=product

They have a good choice of greengages.   :wave: 

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 15:02:09 »
As our allotment area expands, we've bought quite a few fruit trees in recent years.  Our favourite supplier is Blackmoor http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/category/100

We have an Oullins Golden Gage from them, which is in its second year after planting.  We have allowed only a modest crop to develop this year, but we hope that next year we'll get a good harvest from what will be a well-established tree.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 16:05:08 »
Second vote for Blackmoor here... my peach and almonds have been very successful and are cropping a couple of years before expected.... if we can get a bit more sun here my peaches should be ripening up soon...... almonds seem to be getting there

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 23:54:35 »
We have a wonderful Oullins we got from Deacons...  :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:32:43 »
Many thanks for the link to Deacons. I have wanted a Mirabelle for some time and they have a good choice.

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 19:24:32 »
Thanks for everyone's advice, all of those mentioned sites look a whole lot better than those on offer in Sunday newspapers! :wave:
Paul

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal