Author Topic: Brits to be licenced to kill rodents?  (Read 3911 times)

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
Brits to be licenced to kill rodents?
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:11:05 »
I just received this email alert so wondering how much truth is in it?

http://www.beeculture.com/catch-the-buzz-a-license-to-kill-rodents/?utm_source=Catch+The+Buzz&utm_campaign=75db4e0a43-Catch_The_Buzz_4_29_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0272f190ab-75db4e0a43-256253761

From next April, new “stewardship conditions” labels on rodenticides for outside use will require users, including farmers, to hold professional certification which complies with UK Rodenticide Stewardship Regime requirements

I fear that the same might come to Australia which would make it just too hard for most people to be bothered with rodent control.
I have bait stations set up most of the year and currently doing battle with mice eating the seeds off my strawberry fruit and rats moving old peach seeds around. At this time of the year they seem to come into habitable areas from out in the bush.

GREGME

• Half Acre
Re: Brits to be licenced to kill rodents?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:32 »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 16:21:51 »
Reading through the info, it seems that it is the Professional use stuff which is covered by this. The poison most amateurs use is exempt as long as it is sold in plastic bags or sachets.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 20:23:25 »
For those concerned, here is the news bulletin relating , from the British Pest Controllers Association.
http://www.bpca.org.uk/pages/newsManager.cfm?page_id=9&news_id=120

From friends in the industry, it appears that the substances best able to be effective are to be phased out, that the substances remaining are less effective and that only to be available to "competent persons". This is thought to have two effects.
1) There will be an upsurge in rodent populations, causing a compensatory period(£££!) for those permitted to administer the less effective(ie deadly) remedies and
2) a likely increase in "beyond the scope" materials useage ,which, in the less scrupulous (or desperate!) community may lead to danger.
The general public will find with pest control, as with effective fungicides, fly and garden sprays, and even weedkillers , that they are both expensive and/or worthless.
It will be a further reason for trapping which ,unless performed with dedication is either insufficiently humane or grossly inadequate to reduce burgeoning pest populations.
There are serious health implications for the human population if this runs out of control.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 11:19:15 »
Ankle monitors and house arrest for anyone dumping food in the street would be a good start.**

There is a joke that the main accident risk in (pick your least favourite city) is salad dumped on the pavement  by kebab-meat-only-eating  louts and loutesses.

** I might extend this to anyone whose bins overflow only because they can't be bothered stacking or compressing their filthy cartons from fast-food and ready-meals.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal