Author Topic: Strategy for wasps and apples  (Read 1446 times)

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
Strategy for wasps and apples
« on: August 26, 2015, 16:38:23 »
I have a relatively young apple tree of unknown type.  It was overladen with fruit so I've been thinning the smaller and/or misshapen apples over the last few weeks.

As I've been doing this thinning rather late in the year, there are wasps around so I left the discarded apples under the tree to act as a decoy from the fruit on the trees.

Yes, you've guessed it, the wasps are now going for both the discarded apples and the ones on the tree.

Interested to know if anyone has a strategy for deterring wasps from eating fruit on the trees, or do you just leave them to it?

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Re: Strategy for wasps and apples
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 21:06:53 »
I've had the same trouble as you, I'd love to find an answer to the wasp problem. My russet Apple tree seems to have got off lightly, funny enough.
Paul

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 10:09:56 »
My Spartan tree is full of wasps and starlings.  But yes me too, the Russet next to it is untouched, perhaps because the apples have very thick and slightly bitter skins.

No wasps nest apparent near by.  Don't know what to do either.

:BangHead:

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:11 »
Many thanks for the replies so far - kind of reassuring to find other people in the same situation:)

I also have 2 very small apple trees at the other end of the garden which are not effected, and one pear tree that is.

Perhaps we're just having a "wasp year".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal