General > Computers / Internet

Windows 10

<< < (3/7) > >>

BarriedaleNick:
My issue is this.

I never upgrade an existing operating system and nor would most of my fellow techies.  We always start from scratch - wipe the disk or partition and start again.  Of course this is a hassle and not easy for the average user, plus you need to back up your files, restore them and then reinstall your programs.  However you get a nice clean install and generally it is easier to identify issues.

I have 10 running on a virtual machine here but I must confess to not having looked at it much.  I will update my real pc in few months but I have access to full install CDs so a fresh install it will be for me.  I will do my wife's soon as her PC needs a reinstall anyway.
One chap at work (long term IT bod) updated - total disaster with sound not working and other issues.  Went back to 7 and natch it was fecked.  So he is backing up and starting again.  Others have reported that is great for low end PCs and starts really quickly. One guy in the office is running it now as his main PC and it seems fine.

I am not sure what Tee Gee means about having to buy apps to improve the system.  If think there may be some confusion over different version but that wont affect home users.  Windows enterprise comes in two flavours - Long Term Servicing Branch and Current Branch.  The LTSB is similar to how versions are delivered today with a new one delivered every couple of years and in between each new version Microsoft will provide security updates, bug fixes and so on. Alternatively, customers can choose to use the CB method which provides security updates, bug fixes, and new features every few months.  It just gives us techies different degrees of control over the update process.

IMHO Windows 10 is a solid product but in the end it is just an OS and wont change your life and it is essentially free if you update now (the free offer only last for a year then you have to buy but you don't have to pay if you have already updated) - MS have never charged for service packs and updates and that is not going to change with Windows 10. 

PAULW:
OBBELIX  Thanks for the tip was having problems with outlook sending mail all sorted now

Obelixx:
Glad it helped Paul.   

Garden Manager:
Getting mixed feed back on it so far. After working fine the first day I had a few problems the next time I used it. Apps and the store wouldn't work and th Internet connection was hit and miss (some things connected others didn't,  mostly new 10 based  itens). Got an error code for the problems which told me to install an update patch which seemed to cure the problem. Most thing I have tried so far, both software and hardware seem to work fine.

Has anyone found though that in 10 your Microsoft account is distinct from Hotmail accounts? I got in a bit of a muddle with my logins for these.

I never had windows 8 so did not experience the problems users had with it. I have tried the 'tablet'view  on my copy, which I assume is similar to win 8 desktop and I quite like it. I use a tablet a lot (android) so I am as used to the tablet system of tapping apps and tiles as using the traditional window desktop and start menus.

pumkinlover:
This computer sort of did it itself, we were dithering about getting the download and then next thing it was downloading.
Everything works fine and I like it -no problems with outlook.
Only problem is my screen looks like a stupid stretched limo!! it's a sort of widescreen and we can't yet get the aspect right a bit like watching an old program on telly and everyone looks very odd :toothy10:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version