Author Topic: Non Smokers Mackerel Pate  (Read 10713 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Non Smokers Mackerel Pate
« on: August 14, 2015, 19:40:59 »
Were not all Luvvers of smoked fish so its good to know that the following
recipe is both tasty and easy to make for a snack.

INGREDIENTS

2 mackerel Filleted and pin boned.
2 pints of Fish stock

75g of butter
 3 tbsp of crème fraîche
 1/2 tsp horseradish
 1 pinch of smoked paprika
salt and pepper

To poach the mackerel, place the fish stock and the mackerel fillets into a wide pan. Bring up to a simmer and cook for 3—5 minutes until just firm. Remove from the heat and leave the mackerel to cool in the stock. Once cooled, discard the fish stock and separate the flesh from the mackerel skin
just make sure you check for any small pin bones left over....

Combine all of the ingredients with a fork, until the mackerel has broken up into fine strands, and season.....at this stage you can add additional ingredients if you prefer it more fiery etc....once happy.....cover and chill in the fridge.

transfer some Pate to a bowl.............

Serve with Crackers of your choosing

"Non Smokers Mackerel Pate"

Enjoy

Gazza

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Non Smokers Mackerel Pate
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 06:56:58 »
Your pate looks great, those fish look so fresh  :happy7:
I haven't used 'stock pots' are they good?

Funny thing, generally I dislike the taste of fish but I quite like smoked mackerel, smoked haddock in a kedgeree or as a treat smoked salmon!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 15:28:30 »
Yes,the mackies are fresh from Chesil beach and the stock pots are quick and easy to use and add an extra depth of flavour to the fish,and just like Jude she can't tolerate smoked fish or smoked anything
Come to think of it........hence I did the fish without smoking .....the smoked paprika is optional
The overall flavour is very light .

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 23:51:40 »
We caught several mackerel at Mevagissey yesterday, brought them back to the caravan and cooked them on the barbecue doused with lemon and spices.  We couldn't eat them all so have 4 left in the fridge plus another 6 raw ones. 

I might try your recipe tomorrow, Gazza so thank you for that; I was wondering what I could do with them.  I am going to fillet the uncooked ones, freeze them and take them back for the cats.  (We don't like previously frozen mackerel).  I will try and remove the bones from the cooked ones then add creme fraiche, horseradish, butter and perhaps a few more herbs, spices or lemon juice. 

How long do you think the pate will last for please Gazza?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:14:36 »
Sadly too fishy for me but I'm going to make some for my mum, I think she will love it. Doubt I'll be able to get such lovely looking fish though!
I stopped buying knorr several years back because I hated their tv ad. I've wondered about their stock pots as they look good.

What a gorgeous spot to be in Pauline, we used to visit Mevagissey sometimes when we were fishing in Looe, it's a lovely village and harbour. Glad you had good fishing  :happy7:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:06 »
To be honest Pauline the Pate never lasts longer than 3 days in our house but I'd say 7 days in the fridge to be on the safe side,....pleased to read you had some success and enjoyed munching on a few.

Went to chesil today and caught 27 for the freezer for bait,caught and cooked
3 that I'd filleted and fried them in 5 mins.
From sea to stomache in 10 mins....they were unbelievable.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal