Allotment Stuff > Allotment Movement

Waiting lists (and what to do about them)

<< < (2/4) > >>

sparrow:
And another reply from (south) London. We're a large self-managed site on lease from the Council. I waited over 5 years for my first plot and the average waiting time at the moment is 3-4 years. We're considering temporary quarter plots as a means to reduce the waiting list or to offer complete newbies a gentler entry into allotmenteering (all plots on site at the moment are half-plots - though the Council counts them individually but that's another matter entirely...) and I've been asked to research how other sites manage them.

So far it's been off-putting, with more disadvantages for the Committee and probably the site than advantages - particularly given the site's run by volunteers, all willing and able, but volunteers nonetheless. I see Charlie Dimmock's waded in on allotment plot sizes. I am betting she hasn't given much of a thought to how the blessed mess would be managed in an age of severely reduced spend & time by Councils and an increasing trend to voluntary-management.

I have 2 half plots - one of which I have split into two to share with a friend. It's rapidly become apparent to both of us that a quarter plot is quickly outgrown if you're keen.

I live in a flat and have no outdoor space at all so I really value the massive benefits the allotment gives me. I commute from south to north London and have quite a stressful job. I did no gardening before I got my allotment, had no knowledge at all and now (3 years on) growing fruit and veg has become so much a part of my life that I would feel completely lost without it now.

markfield rover:
We are in the Midlands and the time on the waiting list is not long at all , but we have found that people have been put off applying as they have been given the impression that all waiting lists are horribly long , this is not the case.

cornykev:
No waiting list in Cheshunt, Herts
Only waited a week or so
Just got lucky I suppose.
 :blob7:

ancellsfarmer:
The District council is well short on provision, and shows little regard to its statutory obligations in regard to the growing population and allotment requirements. So what to do ?
Think outside the box.
Five years with a local landowner who had Diy livery stables, deal "fifty- fifty" on crop (but he and wife elderly and didn't eat very much!) On hand tractor rotovator, pump for local stream extraction, free (and erected!)polytunnel and a greenhouse once its resident chickens were evicted.Copious supply of fresh horse manure- "where would you like me to tip it now".
 Lost when to be sold for development.
Two seasons in the walled garden of an elderly neighbour, in company with about 8 other keen (?) others. Tap water, free run of orchard,free use of greenhouse in exchange for reglazing and renovating and winter log cutting. Sadly recently passed away .
New prospect within a smallholding.
 Approx area 1/2 acre of clay soil covered in well rotted manure. Only needs fencing against cattle and free range pigs. Water available. Exposed to prevailing wind on slight hilltop. Not cultivated in living memory, barely grows grass.
Now when shall I start   .Oh for an allotment.

Lettisha Marie Howells:
I'm  from Swansea, South Wales and had my name down at 4-5 different sites across Swansea. After 5 years I had a call back from one site and took on a 15x6 raised bed which is how they start newbies on site, then after a year or two if the chance comes up you get offered a full plot. It's a good way to get people off the list and a chance for people to show what commitment they have. They are having problems getting rid of people who have a plot but have not tended it for a number of years.
I'm about to start a number of Hugelkultur beds to give me more square footage to grow me veggies and I may do them in a 3 sisters  planting style.
Anyone else doing hugelkultur beds and any advice to help me bypass any common mistakes?
Thanks in advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version