Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 1863 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Leeks
« on: August 06, 2015, 21:51:35 »
For the first time ever my leeks were nearly the proverbial pencil thickness when I put them out today. However this was only because they had been in their pots for far too long really, so some of the leaves were VERY long (over a foot). Should I have trimmed the leaves? I didn't because I thought the warm weather might make them dehydrate too quickly, but I could go back and do it tomorrow. What do you think? I did trim some of the roots but not all.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 22:37:03 »
I normally do trim the leaves back too as they'll get a shock with any transplant and have to grow new roots before they take off again ... but if you don't it doesn't seem to make much difference - the leaves they can't sustain just die back during the transplanting process and then they grow new ones once they get their feet back in the ground.

Provided the bottom of the leek is in good contact with soil, they are pretty difficult to kill!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 08:24:04 »
A foot long!  Blimey I would be eating them. I am one of those that plant the little bits of grass, roots intact and if I cut the tops there would be nothing left. I have a couple of rows of usable leeks and still growing, so I suppose unless you need to show them there is no need to clip them at 'pencil' size.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:09 »
Used to trim the leaves and roots when I put them out... but haven't done it for years... and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.  :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 09:42:00 »
I have never understood why some  say trim them, it seems to go the principles of plant culture, after all the roots and leaves, particularly those of seedlings are vital to their development.

The roots to seek out and supply the nutrients and the leaves to photosynthesise them.

I think the trouble that the top growers go to drape the leaves over supports so that each leave gets maximum light and the special brews they use to feed is testament to that.

But then again I was always told if you find a way that works, don't change it until you find a better method.

I never cut the leaves or trim the roots, but then again I grow my leeks on  in individual pots until planting out time.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 19:29:38 »
Thanks everyone- I'll leave them alone. One less job is always a bonus!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal