Author Topic: NOT A SINGLE PEAR  (Read 1339 times)

ACE

• Hectare
NOT A SINGLE PEAR
« on: August 07, 2015, 15:15:17 »
Two trees in the orchard, one  a family tree, the other a conference, not a single pear to be seen on either tree. Last year was a bumper crop and previous years were fruitful.  I did have to restake the conference as the weight of fruit made her lean a bit, but it leafed well. I was away at blossom time so I do not if they were in bloom. It was very windy so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The apples are producing, all be it smaller fruits than last year and the reluctant russet is giving it's first proper crop for the first time in eight years. I should think it's a pollination problem as the pears on neighbouring plots at the lottie are producing well and that gets the same weather conditions as home.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: NOT A SINGLE PEAR
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 15:25:42 »
I think that the spells of bad weather during the blossom are most likely to blame.  We have several apple trees and one of the plums that are more or less bare of fruit, whilst others are loaded.  No sign of disease, so we're blaming the wind and rain. (:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 16:17:27 »
We had a number of frosts and if the tree is in flower just at the wrong time then nothing.  Another similar tree just happens to open a few days earlier or later and things are fine.  Last year we lost half an apple tree, one side was fine warmed by next doors house and the other side nothing.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 16:18:01 »
I've only got a couple of very young pear trees - so was not expecting them to bear bountiful fruit yet, but when mine were in blossom I saw that the high winds had ripped through the tree and caused wind burn on the tender leaves and buds which mainly blackened and died back afterwards.  The trees have recovered well but there's only one or two fruit set - and those are all on the sheltered side of the trees!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal