Author Topic: Wet stuff falling out of the sky  (Read 2440 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Wet stuff falling out of the sky
« on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:57 »
As I have been preparing a large asparagus bed this last week. Digging a big trench, filling it with loads of well rotted stuff, then mounding the top, I was ready to go.

I noticed the weather forcast gave rain today, so yesterday evening put 120 plants in groups of 3. Well watered yesterday by hand but even more so today. Wet rain, rain that soaks in,  stair rod rain, cats and dogs even.

They should love it with plenty of slug repellent they stand a good chance of estabilishing theirselves before winter, then a load of straw over them just in case it gets too cold. The groups of 3 will be thinned later, just keeping the best plants. They are all in individual poundland peat pots and have really taken off in the greenhouse nearly bursting the pots. A couple of weeks out on the patio to harden off, now to wait 3 years for a crop.  Not bad for a 20p packet of seed and a few quid on pots and compost.

Even the seeds that were chucked into a bucket of spent compost have come up, so they might go into the flower beds for a bit of foliage when she wants a bunch of flowers in a vase.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Wet stuff falling out of the sky
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:56 »
Didn't think it ever rained on the Isle of Wight. Whats Ventnor like, seen a house on the internet that looks good.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:00:25 »
Didn't think it ever rained on the Isle of Wight. Whats Ventnor like, seen a house on the internet that looks good.

We have to have a bit of rain, now and again, especially in the summer holidays. It might keep the hordes away and let us near the beach.

Seriously now. Ventnor is notorious for landslips, houses crack or slide down the hill and nobody will insure them. Plus some of the roads are so steep some are 1 in 5.  All the south of the island is slipping into the sea. Come inland a bit, the Arreton Valley has the highest sun count and is perfect growing soil. Why do you think all the tomatoes and salad stuff grows there. Still only 15 minutes on the bus to the coast.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 12:56:59 »
Plus some of the roads are so steep some are 1 in 5.

Oh sounds lovely - I should come on holiday on my bike!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 13:10:04 »
Plus some of the roads are so steep some are 1 in 5.

Oh sounds lovely - I should come on holiday on my bike!

Quite a lot of cycling events over here, it has never enticed me to wear lycra and get the old tread iron out of the shed. But they all look happy, knackered, but still happy.  http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 17:26:24 »
It would make a change from cycling round here Ace - seems a lot nicer than the roads I use regularly.
In other news it is absolutely cat and dogging here - two months worth of rain in a day. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 18:14:32 »
Rain, rain, rain, have put the fire as my poor knees are aching and the boiler has gone out.  The allotment certainly needed it. Thanks ACE, no wonder Ventnor was cheap, looked at Arreton Valley, nice houses if you have over one million to spend.  Think it is a good idea to go back from the coast a bit. Got to sell this house first but good to look.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 08:52:40 »
I don't know how they measure rain, but the B&Q bucket was nearly full to the top with water. Much needed, now the squashes and stuff will get a boost, plus everything is nice and fresh this morning. The dreaded gales did not come, which would have battered the sweetcorn and taller crops.

Special treat today,  cabbage.  Saturday has been designated  a no runner beans or courgettes day, Might have to use some French beans, as we ain't used any yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal