Author Topic: How do i get new potatoes for Xmas day?  (Read 10749 times)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: How do i get new potatoes for Xmas day?
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 20:26:53 »
I think I'm wrong about planting them in August..

The 12 of September is 16 weeks before Christmas so planting then would give them plenty of time.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 20:58:13 »
I ordered Carlingford and Pixie from T&M over 12 months ago, and they never arrived for last year, but arrived about a month ago, with apologies for failed crops or summat. They are now sitting in egg trays, chitting their little hearts out while they are waiting for room in the poly tunnel.

We grow them in black buckets (one to a bucket) and earth them up as they grow with a mix of home made compost, manure (!), potting compost, well rotted leaf mould and soil. 

Last year, because I had forgotten about the C'ford and Pix I put supermarket spuds into the buckets and we had about a week's supply of new spuds from 3 buckets.  I didn't chit them either.

Mint is not around at that time!  >:(
The Tuscan Beaneater

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 21:05:29 »
just took this pic in the fading light ...
The Tuscan Beaneater

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 00:11:39 »
Looking good asbean.  I ordered mine back in January with the rest of my spud order.  They screwed the rest of it up so I was pleasantly surprised these arrived at all.  Good old T&M (spit)!

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 08:44:13 »
just got the dtbrown catalogue-they have quite a few varieties at £4.95 for 10 tubers-i'm going to try some i had left over-i'll bung 'em in the polytunnel i think...i'm also going to try for a late crop of beans too-wish me luck as you wave me goodbye!
kitty
xx
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 18:18:55 »
Have seen them at Suttons I am ordering maris peer and charlottes. Dont know if they work. £8.95 per bag 2 kg and they said about 20-30 in each bag. Sounds ok. Will just have to see. ::)

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 19:30:58 »

And, as for frost. I've had to chisel frozen spuds out & they have been fine.

You're having a laff Tim.

Carrots, parsnips maybe, but potatoes - no. ;D

In Winter if you don't store potatoes correctly (ie frost free) they will become 'frosted' and rot.

The only thing I assume you mean, is frozen chips out of the deep freeze. ;D

valmarg

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 19:34:58 »
I use Charlottes, I keep some of the earlier seed spuds in the fridge, then bring them oot when I want to chit them. I have often planted them without chitting too. We use huge tubs and pop them in the greenhouse when the weather starts to get iffy.

Or I replant some of my own earlies from the current year

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 19:37:46 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 19:43:15 »
I laff not, valmarg - but you have reminded me to take the Jersey Royals out of the freezer - put there as back-up before we had our own.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 20:40:55 »
The reason they go in in August is that, unless they're in a heated greenhouse, or in a greenhouse and we have a mild Autumn, they will have stopped growing by the middle to late November - that is if
1) they haven't been taken out by blight
2) they haven't been killed by early frost.

If they're in a protected environment, ie tub in a greenhouse or in a bed in a greenhouse/polytunnel it doesn't matter if they've stopped growing since they won't be sitting in saturated frozen soil and therefore won't rot.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 21:48:39 »
I laff not, valmarg - but you have reminded me to take the Jersey Royals out of the freezer - put there as back-up before we had our own.

Why?? ??? ???

valmarg

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 07:11:41 »
Vortex - exactly! They are there waiting for Christmas.

Valmarg - Why did I take them out? Why did you remind me? Why did I put them there??

No matter - they've now gone!! Did a quick cook-up first to check.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 08:30:36 »
Valmarg - Why did I take them out? Why did you remind me? Why did I put them there??

-rather like everest-becuse they are there!

tim (thankfully)is from a waste not want not generation-which is a great policy!!
talking of which
slightly off topic-my other half is from the Baltic-they generally dont grow spring onions ,but use the tops of cooking onions as such-very tasty and you dont waste all those vitamins!
kitty
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Flunky

• Acre
  • In Sunny Narfook.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2008, 11:28:37 »
ordered my 2nd crop maris peer and charlottes today from Suttons. Said should be delivered within 2 weeks. i hope they are going to be nice.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2008, 13:39:47 »

Erm  :-[ I've been to sleep since then, and I forget. ;D

Tim, did you just put the supermarket bags of Jerseys in the freezer?

valmarg

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:53 »
Hi Ya, that time of year again. Do I plant pots now for new ones xmas day or wait a month and let them chit? I have some to try, maris piper. I did a search to see if anyone has had a go at this and came up with this topic. I know the last post was July 2008 but was wondering how did you all get on? was it worth the effort? what problems were encountered? I may be missing another topic some where that has all this in it already if so please advise. I love new potatoes so was tempted to give these a go. I will freeze some sprigs of mint down for them aswell. happy gardening.

pumkinlover

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 13:21:42 »
If you have room why not plant one or two every week or so?
Thats my master plan, not sure if its a bit early yet?

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 14:08:30 »
when I have tried this in the 2nd half of august its failed outdoors for me. They just havent got going soon enough or I've not chosen the best variety tried red duke last year and annabelles year - I am trying again in early august this year perhaps Carlingford.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 16:26:39 »
I'm not sure how suited Maris Piper are as a new potato, but surely worth a try. I've had good results from planting in bags in July, although L. Blight will likely be a problem. Most often they get zapped here, but if I'm lucky the plants are old enough to put all their energy into producing some baby tubers. If left undisturbed they can then be dug at Christmas/New Year. If frost threatens later on, place the bag in a shed, garage or somewhere that's frost free. They stay in good condition for quite some time. 
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal