Author Topic: Pathetic Broad Beans  (Read 4502 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Pathetic Broad Beans
« on: July 18, 2015, 23:25:12 »
Normally I have great crops of broad beans but this yea,r despite them starting off OK, they grew slowly and currently I have pods  in single figures over a total of 20 plants. I have had a bad attack of broad bean aphid but normally that makes only a marginal difference. Anyone had similar problems?
I thought of starting some off now hoping for some beans in October. Has anyone tried that?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Pathetic Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 05:38:59 »
Everybody had/has great goosegogs and everybody had/has naff broadies this year, judging by the comments.  Even with insecticidal soap sprays.  Just one of those things.  Now that finally the ladybird numbers are increasing, I have hopes that ordinary beans won't have the same aphid problems.

I have grown late broadbeans (to avoid two varieties flowering at the same time) and found that yields were low (ok for seedsaving, not enough for eating).    :wave:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 09:02:17 »
Similarly pathetic, first planting of 34 Aquaduce seed ,voles 33 me 1. Spring planted as plants grew perfectly, flowered well but maybe too early.Pollination appalling, barely replaced seed, but were eaten. Plants struck by blackfly and cut down. Are now shooting and flowering at base ,will there be a second flourish? Will report.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:10 »
My broadies have been good this year although they seem to have come to an end very quickly- definitely should have planted more!

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 12:01:21 »
I lost 90% of my October sowings to mice - so I boosted my March/April sowings of the better tasting green-seed types.

They all went into suspended animation during the the droughts (I couldn't water them myself and I suspect they only got cosmetic watering - ie. a 'wash' from my 'assistant gardener'). The blackfly went mad.

The only ones that produced a usable crop were some I planted as a punt in what I thought might be slightly too much shade.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 17:38:43 »
Mine have been dreadful - planted lots in two different areas of my allotment - both lots completely were covered in blackfly in a way that seemed to stop the flowers being pollinated. I am now taking them out having had one handful of beans from my plants (but luckily swopsies with another allotmenteer means I have at least had one meal!). Have never experienced this before

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 22:41:35 »
Many thanks for your replies. This newspaper article may explain it!
http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farming/blackfly_infestation_takes_its_toll_on_bean_crops_1_4157234

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 10:44:44 »
Just noticed by linking from the post about free postage today from Mr Fothergills, that they are offering autumn-cropping broad bean plants. Has anyone grown these before?

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Vegetable-Plants/Broad-Bean-Luz-De-Otono-Plants.html#.VazCY7VZ3ts

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 15:10:04 »
this is a good call but need to put in ground fairly soon after delivery from 5th august.
hopefull autumn black fly arent a problem

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:28:59 »
Just noticed by linking from the post about free postage today from Mr Fothergills, that they are offering autumn-cropping broad bean plants. Has anyone grown these before?

http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/Vegetable-Plants/Broad-Bean-Luz-De-Otono-Plants.html#.VazCY7VZ3ts

Im a sucker for offers so ordered these before midnight. Will let you know !

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:43:12 »
Mine are looking fine. They've got blackfly worse than most years, but it doesn't seem to be doing much harm, and they're covered with ladybirds.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 22:07:36 »
Taking the tops out of them (eat like spinach) really seems to work against blackfly. You just have to time it right ...

If they do get blackfly, and a squish and wash doesn't work, I spray regardless of ladybirds moving in because broad beans seem really vulnerable. The beans are discoloured if they even form.

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 22:51:38 »
Most of us have had a bad year with black bean aphid, including me.(unless you are a black bean aphid of course in which case you have had a great year :icon_cheers:)

The over wintering Aquadulce crop beat off the worst of it so they were ok but the spring ones fared worse. I let them go untreated as there were ladybirds about but it took about a month for their numbers to build up sufficiently for control. Too late to prevent a significantly reduced yield.

I now have a June sown row of red flowered broadies that seem to grow quite ok in the summer this being their third year summer sown. I sow them after the other plot holders beans have finished flowering to keep the saved seed pure. Now with the ladybird/hoverfly population at their peak the crop I get from them should be at least be clean. :happy7:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 04:12:39 »
My worst hit broadies were winter-sown Bunyard's Exhibition. The winter sown landrace beans (mostly shortpod types) weren't even touched. Spring sown plants (more of the same, plus a few other longpod types) seemed to get off lighter, with just the tops getting aphids. Very few ladybirds but the hoverflies are increasing now.

I'm not sure if the blackflies have affected production on the heavily infested plants as this is my first year growing them. How many pods would you normally get from one plant?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal