Author Topic: tomato question  (Read 2871 times)

ACE

• Hectare
tomato question
« on: October 15, 2015, 13:08:55 »
This has never happened to me before, but a fallen tomato got dug in and it has thrown up loads of seedlings. Would it be worth potting some up and keeping in the conservatory which is heated but only to keep the chill off unless we use it then I turn the rad up. I don't want winter toms just thinking that they might give me a head start next year. Or shall I just ferk them out and dump them in the compost bin.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: tomato question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 13:23:55 »
I have never done this before but like you I often see seedlings popping up in the greenhouse border so why not have a go!

As they say " nothing ventured nothing gained"

Who knows? we all might gain something if you give it a try and get back to us with your results.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 14:19:26 »
There are people on this forum who have successfully overwintered tomatoes.  What a good question Ace, because there were several more who want to overwinter a cutting from their blightfree hybrid tomato varieties.

I am sure it can be done.  Personally I tried once and it did not work, but MIL just down the road managed  to survive a plant and got very early tomatoes.    :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 17:01:52 »
For us up in the frozen wastelands- No
for you tropical peeps it might be worth it, especially as you probable get better light too

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 19:49:47 »
tropical peeps.

It was a bit nippy on Tuesday, but all back to normal now, nearly had to wear socks with my sandals.

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 07:45:01 »
tropical peeps.

It was a bit nippy on Tuesday, but all back to normal now, nearly had to wear socks with my sandals.

Noooooooo................

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 15:17:47 »
I've popped half a dozen in small pots, nice root system so they will transplant easy. Now to stop them growing using some of the tricks of the trade I used to use when I was growing for show gardens to make sure the plant was in bloom on the day of judging. I need an spring equinox mini climate. The type we get when we are all shouting  'my plants are a bit slow this year'.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal