Author Topic: bean problem  (Read 2616 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
bean problem
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:25:40 »
We have had three weeks of very dry and extremely hot weather, so most veg are struggling.  We've just noticed these spots on most of the lower leaves of the various climbing beans we have, starting off as little yellow spots, which grow, and have a sort of white deposit underneath.
Looking in the book, we are wondering if this might be halo blight, and if so what to do.  The beans are all coming into production now, so I'm not going to spray, and nor do I want to uproot them! 
I always practice crop rotation, with the exception this year of the climbing and French beans (coincidence?) which for various reasons decided to plant in the same quarter just this once.
Any advice  please, thank you!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: bean problem
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:10:13 »
http://www.gardenworldimages.com/Details.aspx?ID=30726&TypeID=1

Sorry no advice, I have never seen anything like this.  But the picture above shows real 'halos' around the lesions and I can't see these in your photo.  Also your 'spots' are more raised and the halo blight picture does not have raised spots.

A few more to mull over:
http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3374.PDF

None seem to fit exactly, but I haven't really studied them in detail.

Do you have beans already?  Do they look normal? 

Have you tried cutting one of these raised pustules open to see whether it is an insect that made them?

Hope this doesn't affect the yield.  If it is only a few leaves, I would pick them and burn them just in case the  other leaves get infected.    :BangHead:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:12:26 by galina »

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:25:15 »
Thanks for replies.  Having looked at various images online, i'm fairly sure it is halo blight or some sort of bacterial blight.  i can't find any insect evidence.  The spots start very small, but with a tiny brown centre, just like this first photo from online.  Underneath there are these white circular growths exactly the second photo below.  The photo in my first posting was of the worst affected leaf, when it had become raised.  The rest aren't like that.  Most affected is your North Carolina bean, Galina, but it is evident on all my other climbing bean rows, but only on the lowest leaves, which  are the leaves that get wet when watering from a watering can.  They've been watered that way, during our month's absence.
The only beans set so far (and no signs of damage) are Kew blue, the others are only just starting flowering.  One advice online was to use Bordeaux mixture so we might try that. But I might try removing the affected leaves at the bottom.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:03:01 »
did you soak your beans before you planted them soaking increases the chances of halo blight hop this helps
ive been lucky this year took this this morning
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 12:21:12 »
No I've never soaked bean seed.  Here the soil is warm enough that I always sow all beans direct into the ground, three beans to a hole, with the intention of  taking out the surplus, but somehow that doesn't often happen!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 12:26:52 »
No I've never soaked bean seed.  Here the soil is warm enough that I always sow all beans direct into the ground, three beans to a hole, with the intention of  taking out the surplus, but somehow that doesn't often happen!
i know the feeling thats why i always plant mine in the greenhouse so i can control the amount i put in but i still sneak a seed in for good measure lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 15:30:00 »
I had a problem last year with beans, looked a bit similar and finally the affect leaves died, looked as if they had been burned.  I doused the whole plant in stinging nettle tea, and it perked up a treat.

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 16:52:35 »
As it is only some of the lowest leaves, and mostly only on  one variety, I'm inclined to give them a quick spray with Bordeaux stuff and then watch and wait.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 08:33:41 »
I don't recognise that, it's similar to Halo Blight, but not quite. It might be worth you picking off the worst affected leaves and burning them, looks like they might be producing spores on the underside. Good luck with the Bordeaux spray, hope it clears it up.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal