Author Topic: mutant radish  (Read 3691 times)

ACE

• Hectare
mutant radish
« on: June 08, 2015, 12:26:13 »
I forgot I had put them in down the bottom of the plot. Cheap 20p a packet seeds. Checked the plot this morning after being away from it for 16 days and spotted them. Huge, 3 to a pound. I shall try them out on the Yettie in Pink Knickers and see how woody they are, although with only 3 weeks growing and cutting one open they did not look bad.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: mutant radish
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 22:08:10 »
Well, the verdict is they are nice and juicy, but she only needs one each meal. I shall keep them in the ground for a while. I was going to dig them up and chuck them on the compost heap.

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 23:16:30 »
Ace,
Why not let them flower and then eat the pods ?
Delicious.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:10 »
Ace,
Why not let them flower and then eat the pods ?
Delicious.

Plenty to eat from the lottie without messing about with that. I don't like them anyway.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:29:25 »
If you don't like pods or eating them raw, you can also cook radish, like turnip.  Certainly works great with mooli radishes and tastes good.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:47 »
I did see that they can be cooked, will try some later fried with garlic in olive oil. But I am going to take some convincing that they are nice.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 21:43:58 »
I did see that they can be cooked, will try some later fried with garlic in olive oil. But I am going to take some convincing that they are nice.

I would NOT fry them myself, but each to their own  :sunny:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 21:47:14 »
grated maybe over cheese on toast
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 22:40:47 »
Blah, disgusting, I'll leave them for somebody else to eat raw, I do like root veggies but radish has never hit the spot for me. Still it might have stopped the dog scavenging the kitchen floor as soon as anything gets dropped. He was in like a shot, but it soon got spat out again.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 12:26:06 »
Blah, disgusting, I'll leave them for somebody else to eat raw, I do like root veggies but radish has never hit the spot for me. Still it might have stopped the dog scavenging the kitchen floor as soon as anything gets dropped. He was in like a shot, but it soon got spat out again.

I admit radish doesn't quite 'do it' for me neither...I don't dislike it but it is lacking that bit of 'excitement'.
Though I have to admit...there is one way of eating them that I would not miss. I like them sliced with of oily tuna from tin, little bit of fresh garlic, finely chopped chilli, salt and pepper, little bit squeezed lemon, coriander and dollop of mayo..all mixed together to make sandwich filler...more radish the better! Some how that messy mix just tickles my taste buds.. :toothy10:
Ooo...I can already taste it....with fresh Habaneros, that lovely flavour coming through and plenty of heat!  :icon_cheers:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 12:31:47 »
I'm not a radish fan either, I have to admit. They just taste weird.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 20:16:51 »
 don't think anybody really likes them why is it stuff that don't taste to good is the easiest to grow
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 02:29:09 »
I always grow a few for my boyfriend since he enjoys them, but thus year I'm concentrating on stuff we both like.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 05:16:08 »
I always grow a few for my boyfriend since he enjoys them, but thus year I'm concentrating on stuff we both like.

Awww..... :love7:....  :icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal