Author Topic: Shears  (Read 2382 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Shears
« on: June 28, 2015, 14:01:35 »
Can anyone recommend some shears for hedging and cutting back things like hardy geraniums?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Shears
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 17:09:36 »
I'd like a recommendation for shears as well, mine are cheapies that were left on my plot but never seem to get sharp whatever I do.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 17:51:30 »
Oh yes, I can recommend some..

I 'love' my Fiskars shears. Mine are slightly older model with shorter blade length but longer handles. Their new models are very similar but they can to be used in 'normal' hedge pruning where as their older version ones (that I have) they were selling to different purposes, mine are lighter version for 'not so thick woody pruning'...brilliant for chopping perennial down or something like lavender that is 'not so woody'.
Over the  years I've had many different Fiskars gardening tool and they've all been REALLY good.
Their new smaller blade shears have not extendable handles...sounds good to me...but how well their tools last, I suspect by the time I'm in need new shears, their models have changed again.
They do cost little bit more than other similar tools, but well worth the money if you have that spare to spend.  :icon_thumleft:
BTW...Wilkinson Sword is owned by Fiskars....tools are very similar but WS maybe tad cheaper.

Edit to add; just found it..those lighter duty shears that I have...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FISKARS-114211-20cm-Hedge-Trimming-Shaping-Shears-/351397017186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d0e4f662
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 17:55:04 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 18:02:40 »
I'd like a recommendation for shears as well, mine are cheapies that were left on my plot but never seem to get sharp whatever I do.....

There is 'knack' to sharpen shears and if done slightly wrong even once...it will take some doing to get the blades right again. Some 'cheapies' are never 'right' to start with so no matter how well you sharpen them...they will never perform that well.
I think getting decent tools is vital, makes one's 'life' so much easier...tough price is not necessary indicator how good/bad something might be. I have been happy with Fiskars so I tend to stick to it unless proven otherwise...though I do have lots of other brand cutting tools and I can't say I have been disappointed with many of them neither. One just tends to find one or two tools that little bit better and always reaching for them first.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 18:46:10 »
Thanks for that recommendation, I'm now scouring to see where I can get cheapest  :blob7...
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 18:58:27 »
Oh yes, I can recommend some..

I 'love' my Fiskars shears. Mine are slightly older model with shorter blade length but longer handles. Their new models are very similar but they can to be used in 'normal' hedge pruning where as their older version ones (that I have) they were selling to different purposes, mine are lighter version for 'not so thick woody pruning'...brilliant for chopping perennial down or something like lavender that is 'not so woody'.
Over the  years I've had many different Fiskars gardening tool and they've all been REALLY good.
Their new smaller blade shears have not extendable handles...sounds good to me...but how well their tools last, I suspect by the time I'm in need new shears, their models have changed again.
They do cost little bit more than other similar tools, but well worth the money if you have that spare to spend.  :icon_thumleft:
BTW...Wilkinson Sword is owned by Fiskars....tools are very similar but WS maybe tad cheaper.

Edit to add; just found it..those lighter duty shears that I have...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FISKARS-114211-20cm-Hedge-Trimming-Shaping-Shears-/351397017186?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51d0e4f662

Gosh...who wrote all that rattle....all the typos as well... :drunken_smilie: Oh well, serves me right for not reading before posting it...I'm sure you all get what I'm trying to say....(note to myself.....type slower and read more!!!!)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 21:07:11 »
Thanks, goodlife- it's my birthday next week so I've put them on my wishlist!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal