Author Topic: Spaghetti squash in a builders bag?  (Read 2326 times)

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
Spaghetti squash in a builders bag?
« on: June 13, 2015, 21:52:41 »
I have 3 builders 1 ton sacks - full of either well rotted horse manure stable shavings or 'pure' fairly rotted manure collected from the field, mixed with a little poultry muck.  My idea was to utilise these as beds for some pumpkins or squash this year as it wont be needed until next season. While looking for some suitable seeds, todays impulse buy was a lovely spaghetti squash plant about 18" long already and starting to flower. I also have a spare courgette plant looking for a home.

My idea was to put these in the builders bags but am slightly worried about what I'm reading about the size of the spaghetti squash plants. Most sites seem to be American and climate differences may be important, but some suggest they run for 5+ meters?

Anyone have any experience of squashes in this way?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Spaghetti squash in a builders bag?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 06:38:19 »
I would suggest that a squash plant rooted in 100% manure might be somewhat larger than 5 metres. 

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 08:01:20 »
hmmmm - the more I read the more I agree. Thanks.

I think I might need to find a space for that on the plot somewhere and stick to something more compact in the bags - maybe just courgettes or a smaller squash that doesnt want to spread so far?

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:32:41 »
a few years ago i put a butternut in horse muck at my plot i got alot of green growth but only 1 squash on the plant i found mine did alot better in the ground with some grass clippings under them

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:51 »
I put in six squash plants of various types the other day, in a pile of stable manure in a space where Him Indoors recently removed a big spiky bush. I hope they get really big!

No good me planting squash directly in the ground, it's horrible hard clay.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 14:18:17 »
Given that those builders bags are 1 cubic metre, ie 1m along each side,would suggest that you plant in the side and train (tie-in) to a string tied right around the "waist" of the bag. I think you may find it will root where in tight proximity. Once you have been around once, simply go round again at a higher level.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Bigpikle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 21:05:26 »
thanks everyone - in the end I decided it would be a little large so we found a space on the plt where it might be able to romp around a bit more. Planted with loads of muck added to the soil.

We also found some Honey Bear squash which were described as compact and container friendly, so I've started some seeds for those to put in the bags instead. We also had a spare courgette plant so put that in 1 sack as well, so hopefully we'll double up on the use of the bags this season.

Will let you know how it goes.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal