Author Topic: Coffee grounds as slug control  (Read 1715 times)

breenalipally

• Not So New ...
Coffee grounds as slug control
« on: May 23, 2015, 12:19:26 »
As a school Gardner I am always looking for new organic ways of gardening.  I have been sprinkling used coffee grounds around plants to keep away slugs and it seems to be working and a bonus is the birds don't seem to like it either. I wondered if anyone else has tried this. I am a bit worried about putting them around vegetables that children are going to eat, although they are 'spent' -a local coffee bar saves them for me so I assume most of the caffeine has gone but would appreciate any views on this. Thanks everyone.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Coffee grounds as slug control
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 12:28:16 »
I tried an experiment a few years ago.  I encircled a few snails and slugs with a ring of dried grounds and they all, without hesitation, went right over it.  Of course in practice they might just avoid it if they have a choice and if it seems to be working then all well and good.  I wouldn't worry about caffeine leeching into the plants - it would be negligible if any. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 14:25:06 »
Our slugs don't mind it either. Better than nothing but only just.

I find the thought of plants high on caffeine rather amusing.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 18:57:32 »
I'm a great believer in it, but don't sprinkle it too finely, it needs to be a good barrier. As for absorption by other, I have never noticed any carry-over when I have eaten salads that have been protected by it
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal