Author Topic: white rot  (Read 2538 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
white rot
« on: June 06, 2015, 21:15:29 »
lost all my over wintered onions to white rot this year amillatoxed the bed normally works but this year all my onions and half my garlic not going to grow them anymore there so cheap to buy it just aint worth it :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: white rot
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 16:47:34 »
Oh dear- sorry to hear that!

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 18:40:16 »
Lost two thirds of my garlic, it was grown in a raised bed that two years ago I treated with garlic powder.We have planted onions for the first time in 5/6 years but I'm not holding me breath  :sad10:
sanity is overated

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 19:28:04 »
Lost two thirds of my garlic, it was grown in a raised bed that two years ago I treated with garlic powder.We have planted onions for the first time in 5/6 years but I'm not holding me breath  :sad10:
hope all is well last year not a problem  hope fully you will get a good year fingers crossed for you my friend i feel your pain this was them before the rot
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

small

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 21:09:07 »
So sorry, white rot is a proper b., isn't it. I've given up with everything except garlic which is in a big bucket, and chives which are not affected. I know onions and leeks are cheap, but it's not the same as growing your own, I used to love growing onions with the ritual of bending all the stems at precisely the same angle, the woggling to see which were ready, the tying them up in old tights...
Have you tried the garlic watering method? That worked one year for me but the rot was too much subsequently.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 07:10:42 »
I had a good year for overwintering onions - only two had a bit of rot and it was only a touch.  Hoping the garlic is as good and that the onions from seed stand up as well.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 08:12:39 »
i know your pain yesterday i threw all my onions away and harvested my garlic of which i got 10 bulbs out of 40 so at least i got some im going to be growing them away from the allotment and trying the garlic water for a few years

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 14:41:07 »
I know where you are at,I have been there and got the Tee shirt!

This was around 8-10 years ago and I haven't used that bed since for any of the allium family, that is until this year that is.

I have planted my maincrop onions Red Baron & Turbo setts and they are looking OK, so fingers crossed that they do not succumb to this dreadful disease.

There is lots in the the archives of this site as it is a situation thast seems to come up most years so if you care to do a search and learn some more about it, including burying affected plants in the affected bed as a means of a cure.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Onion%20White%20rot/Onion%20-%20White%20Rot.htm

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal