Author Topic: Don't cast a clout  (Read 2546 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Don't cast a clout
« on: May 12, 2015, 12:33:49 »
Till may be out.

We always refer to the may flower around these parts and it is well and truly out now. Noticed blossom everywhere this morning. Also our errant Cuckoo has eventually turned up. A month late, but we all thought it wasn't coming back. All in all it bodes well for some nice weather.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Re: Don't cast a clout
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 16:26:59 »
Yes, the may is out here too, and I saw the first swifts of the year the other day. This means it's summer! :)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 17:49:06 »
No may blossom here yet but the hedge is alive with nestlings squawking to be fed which is a first this year.   No cuckoo yet in the woods nearby tho we've heard one further away near the village when walking the dogs.  I've seen no swifts or swallows or house-martins yet and last night just one bat flitting around.

This puzzles me greatly.  When we moved in 20 odd years ago there was a flock of about 30 pipistrelles but for the last 5 or 6 years we only ever see one solitary bat which is a bit bigger than a pipistrelle.   What is it and why does it not bring its mates?  Loads of insect activity in our garden and veggie plot and over the pond so plenty to eat.

Despite the lack of May blossom OH and I have gardened all day in sleeveless tops and shorts.  He's been strimming and weeding and I've been hoeing and raking and spreading compost and planting brassicas and broad beans and some ornamentals too.   Fab day.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:17:08 »
Swallows arrived last week... :icon_cheers: We have few nests on street every year and they make such a show of their arrival that one just cannot missed them :icon_cheers: They fly low between houses..twisting and turning...it is wonder they don't bash on anybody's windows....and after their arrival notice they take off higher up and start going about the usual business... :drunken_smilie:

No may blossom yet...its been bit cold for that and many things are still little late with the development.

Birds are looking good this year :icon_cheers: Those species that have been struggling last few years...mainly various tits...are really blossoming, their colours look clear and bright and feathers shiny and there is plenty of them about :icon_cheers:
LOADS of blackbirds...and they are so bold and fearless this time of year..for annoyance of my dog who cannot stand any birds that flaunt their presence from almost catchable distance. As soon as they see you disturbing soil...they are there, waiting to get stuck in too and getting plenty of worms to feed their young.

Oh roll on spring...I can feel it in my water that this is going to be superb growing year..for us gardeners as well as our feathered friends.. :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:19:04 by goodlife »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:56:17 »

Oh roll on spring...

Eh! we've had spring down here it is now early summer.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 14:44:55 »

Oh roll on spring...

Eh! we've had spring down here it is now early summer.

Definitely still a spring. I've just come back home from walk in the woods and oak trees are just unrolling first leaves, they look quite bare, still.
Bluebells are just coming to full bloom, many places their first flowers are only just opening....soooo beautiful there..I love that 'new' fresh spring green colour  :sunny:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal