Author Topic: Fast growing crops  (Read 1695 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Fast growing crops
« on: March 16, 2020, 12:15:29 »
I don't like radishes so no need to suggest them. But what grows the quickest? This should save a trip to the shops. I put spinach in this morning. Also turnips for the tops. Broadies are in flower, so they will soon be on the way.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Fast growing crops
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 12:21:06 »
Mustard and cress on the windowsill.  Sprouting veg in a sprouter or in a coffee jar, like mung beans.  Pea shoots.

And on the plot   Turnips there is a Tokyo Cross variety that is supposed to be ready in less than 2 months, all the Asian vegetables, lettuce, round carrots.  :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 13:59:01 »
I have a silly miniature strawberry planter on the kitchen windowsill. It has had salad leaves in all winter from the supermarket. I have just found another and seeded it. Kale is quick isn't it, pull up the thinnings and use first.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 20:19:06 »
Will be blanching some dandelions-its an experiment!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 21:15:22 »
Rocket, baby beets and carrots, bok choi?
Obxx - Vendée France

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 07:57:22 »
Kohlrabi is pretty fast for a decently sized vegetable, around 60 days. Perpetual 'spinach', spring onions, dwarf peas

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 17:14:26 »
All the chinese mustards are fast - too many types/names to mention, among them flat leaves, puckered leaves,  feathered leaves, smooth leaves, even rough leaves more like radish but they still taste fresh and mustardy & grow very quick to a usable size for salad or wok. If you plant too many you will get the most delicious mustardy broccoli sprigs as they try to flower.

I use land cress as a tame weed/edible ground cover - totally bulletproof - it's brilliant raw and OK in stir fries if you run out of mustard - I chuck in lettuce leaves to compensate if I can - anything from tiny thinnings to the rough holey/torn leaves round  the salad bit.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 09:46:12 »
A mushroom kit is also quite fast and with care can be quite productive at home.  :wave:

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 20:18:37 »
salad crops inc beatroot and spring onions

Peas can be sown for pea shoots

I am starting pak choi off next week in greenhouse that grew quite quickly last time

enjoy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal