Author Topic: Wall pockets, hanging growbags for a fence  (Read 4908 times)

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
Wall pockets, hanging growbags for a fence
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:00:14 »
I have been sorting out my strawberry beds & have about 40 plants from runners :blob6:
I don't have enough space in my garden (no allotment) but have a big fence

Has anyone had success with wall pockets, hanging grow bags etc

Debs  :icon_flower:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Wall pockets, hanging growbags for a fence
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:00 »
Not quite the same and I've no idea how they are going to do, but, I've put some runners in growbags/compost bags this year which are then in a crate so they can be suspended them from the poly tunnel frame or taken outside. I got the idea from looking at Agriframes strawberry table earlier http://www.agriframes.co.uk/strawberry-table-top.html  in the year (which I quite fancied but too pricey for me). I'm not sure how I'm going to manage watering yet, but they say a grow bag with 10 strawberries is good for 3 years.

It seems quite a few commercial strawberry crops are grown on tables.

Would suspending grow bags from your fence be too much weight for them? I wonder if a slatted hanging shelf could be made to support a growbag for strawbs, it could hook over the fence and be moved if needed?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 13:25:44 »
A lot depends upon how deep they are as deep ones can sometimes beat the objective you are trying to reach.

From memory I think there are around six or seven holes in them and the temptation is to use all six or seven, I would suggest three at the most.

What happens is if you use more you crowd most of them out so you only get the effect of around three good plants.

The other thing is, is watering -- the top area can get quite dry and the bottom quite sodden so increases the weight as Jaybe rightly mentions.

I would suggest one plant on the top,one about a third of the way down and the third about half way down, place these two on opposite sides of the bag.

Then with a bit of luck you will get a well shrouded bag and hopefully lots of berries.

I hope that helps but I have to say I don't like them but if needs must then yes I would use them.

brownthumb2015

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 07:11:48 »
i have seen an old pallet  used for growing s/berries  .cant remember where or how  and could also have  sweetpeas or other trailing flowers added for prettiness    " Idea" where can i get a pallet

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:43:59 »
If there are any building sites near you, try there. They usually give them away.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 08:07:34 »
Pallets are everywhere round here at the moment as everyone is getting lofts/gardens/driveways done.  I was looking for pallets in January and struggled to find enough decent ones but now I don't need them they are everywhere!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal