Author Topic: Asda compost  (Read 9146 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Asda compost
« on: May 20, 2015, 16:52:41 »
I had lots of plants that needed potting on, so I needed some compost. I could not get any of my usual brand Clover, so I bought 3 bags for £10 from Asda. When I got to my plot I opened a bag, the contents resembled flock! It certainly did not look like compost. It went straight on the compost heap, leaving me £10 out of pocket. Has anyone else experienced this. :BangHead:
Paul

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Asda compost
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:56:58 »
I think you will find all own brand composts are just soil improver from the council garden recycling plants. It is hit and miss if you get anything decent. I had two bags of the Verve stuff both totally different.  The beans I put in one tray rotted, but as I started a new bag the other tray grew properly. Both in the same greenhouse with the same treatment.

They cannot be leaving it long enough to mature and rot down properly. Just brown stuff, be it wood pulp, xmas trees, or whatever, then a handful of chemicals chucked in. I go to the tip sometimes and get a trailer full, I know the bloke and he points me to the oldest heap and although I usually spread it on the plot some of it is far better than the bagged up 'compost' that I buy. The big names have got into the act and have raised the price of their products as they bung a shovelful of peat in each bag which makes it look nice and crumbly.

I tipped another bag out on a small raised bed I was using for seedings. All it did was mulch the area and stopped  things growing.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:42:43 »
We sell Petersfield Peat free and it is the best peat free I have used.
Also Clover which is peat based and seems good quality.
Its a lot of work running the allotment shop but at least I get to pick good quality products and don't have to chase up to the Garden Centre all the time :toothy10:

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:09 »
B&Q's Verve isn't too bad considering it's cheap - about 6.75 for a 125 litre bag, but you have to sieve it before use which is a bit tedious.  Seeds have done well in it this year.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:20:58 »
I agree with Ellen. I use Verve 58% peat, the purple bag I think. It does need sieving for the top layer on small seeds. I was a bit put out this year with the price increase, even with my "diamond geezer" card it went to over £6 when last year the regular price was £6 for 125L. That's 12.5% increase!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 09:56:08 »
I'm glad you mentioned this. I went shopping yesterday and saw Asda's compost offer. Admitedly I was curious about it and did think some while 'should I...or not'. In the end I didn't...
We have good supply in our allotment shop and clover being best seller..but sometimes one just feel that it would be so convenient grab a bag or two while shopping other things rather than having to make wheelbarrow trip to fetch some our shop.

Mustn't be lazy...have to get out and fetch some 'good stuff'.. :icon_cheers:

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 16:11:13 »
I agree with you Goodlife, clover has never let me down. :wave:
Paul

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal