Author Topic: Show coleus  (Read 1787 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
Show coleus
« on: June 04, 2015, 21:44:05 »
Question- When growing coleus do you let the plant just grow or do you need to pinch out like fuchsias to get best results. Also I are there any tips to get a big plant without flowering?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Show coleus
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:37:42 »
I haven't grown any for a few years but I always used to pinch them out, but perhaps with modern breeding it is not so necessary?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:46:11 »
If you let them to produce flowers....the plant will start to 'run down' and the leaves fresh and vivid colours are not so bright anymore.
So yes, keep pinching and let the plant re-new its growth.
Coleus needs to be watered regularly...it likes moist soil condition...so decent size pot with good compost, enough moisture and pinching those flower buds off and there is no reason why your plant would not grow into good size specimen.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 20:59:58 »
I do not know if you can still get them but there used to be a range of named varieties that did not flower very much. I got a good collection of cuttings from the local council gardens but I have no greenhouse now and there are no council garden workers. There was a very good one called n------r  b-y I gave a good plant of this to a raffle  and when the person who won it asked the name he said " wished I hadn't won it now" lets get a life it was only a plant. When we went to Wisley they had re-named it, where is the world going ????

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 21:48:49 »
There are some great names about,like fishnet stockings,trusty rusty and kong. But I don't really know which are best for good show plants.might go to the garden centre and ask if they have any fishnet stockings.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 09:34:57 »
I used to have one called Paisley Lace which you can get from at least one nursery, if you google  Coleus Paisley Lace you can fine the suppliers. they may well have others varieties in stock,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal