Author Topic: Taking and posting gardening photos  (Read 3742 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Taking and posting gardening photos
« on: April 09, 2015, 10:03:56 »
Since I started 'lurking' in A4all forum...err..only 'few' years ago :drunken_smilie:..camera has become one of my gardening 'tools'. I'm often taking photos of 'this and that', anything that I take particular interest..if my eyes stop to look at something, it is worth of taking photo of it.. it might come useful in later date. And I love seeing photos what everybody else is taking.
Just this morning Galina posted picture of her celery off set...now how useful is that!...'picture speaks 1000 words'.

I'm feeling very  :sunny: this morning and wanted so 'say'  :icon_thumleft: for all the photos you all keep posting...
...and I'm really looking forward for seeing some more..do keep your fingers busy on camera buttons...PLEASE!.. and let me us :toothy5: have little snoop into your greenery....or animals....or cooking...or what ever.. :glasses9:

:icon_cheers:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 10:05:46 by goodlife »

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
Re: Taking and posting gardening photos
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:33:39 »
I take photos all around my garden every week or two. I stand in the same spot each time and some key photos I file in a folder of their own - so all the ones for the "view down the path with the hedges growing" are in a folder by themselves, which makes interesting viewing as a sort-of time-lapse in chronological order.

I find them really handy for what-flowered-when so that when I am moving stuff in the Winter I can figure out where it was, and what else was in flower at the same time etc.  Also just for my curious interest of how much later/earlier XXX is this/last year.

We've been building our garden for nearly a decade ... no doubt we'll be still building it in decades to come!! - but I find it very rewarding looking back at the end of the year and seeing the progress we have made, as on-the-ground it can seem like not much changes week-by-week.

Oct 2010 - used mower to "trial" the line ot the path / hedge.  Changed my mind a few times and re-mowed a new trial path :)

May 2011 - Recently planted

August 2012 ...

Jul 2013 - grass looked a bit dry that Summer ...

August 2014 - going to need to chop-the-top in 2015 maybe?

small

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:38:30 »
I totally agree, Goodlife, I love to see garden pics, and I'd post mine, but....
For a very stupid person, please can you tell me is there a way to get them from my camera phone direct on here? I mail loads to my daughter, and would love to put them on here too...
Kgarden, that is a very impressive long-term work you've done there, well done for having the vision and being able to carry it out!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:38:27 »
I agree with all of the above.

I have a kept a diary since 1986 in the written form and when looking up data (my memory is not what it once was) I find that it is a bit ponderous to look through all the pages for something that I know is there but I can't find it. :BangHead:

Then when I built my website in 1999 I found it much easier to find my details easier now that it was on a spread sheet, but even here no matter what I wrote I couldn't write the thousand or more words a picture tells. :toothy10:

So now I keep a 'Pictorial' diary and by looking at corresponding times each year I can see the relative progress over the years, and if the seasons ( what are these?) are earlier or later than last year. :sunny:

In fact I am currently rewriting my website and updating the pictures in it so that my visitors can see a whole years work in a matter of minutes, rather than wading through loads of text.

So yes a digital cameras is one of the better pieces of technology to appear in recent years!

Now all I want is for the wiz kids to invent a Robot to do the harder work in my allotments and just leave me to take pictures and eat the produce! :glasses9:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 13:10:09 »
For a very stupid person, please can you tell me is there a way to get them from my camera phone direct on here?

Really depends on what phone you have!  Most phones will synch your photos to dropbox of Apple's iCloud or to Google's Drive so they are already on the internet.  However the best bet is to load them on to your PC at home - normally easily doable via a USB cable.  It is worth doing that anyway as if you lose your phone you will lose your photos, as happened to a mate last week!

Once they are on your PC it is very easy to post them here as Dan (the owner) has enabled photo uploading for all.  Underneath the text box you type in to reply there is an attachments and other options link - you can attach photos that way. 

If all else fails you can mail the images to yourself and then post them here.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 15:32:21 »
Mail the images to myself. What a brilliant simple idea. Lateral thinking was never my strong point! Thank you!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 18:43:40 »
i love taking pics just to look back on the year
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 07:07:21 »
Thank you Goodlife.  :sunny:   I also love pictures, both for learning and for drooling.  Mine are quite big when they come off the camera.  I copy/save what I want to use to desktop, open with Microsoft Picture Manager, often I crop, then compress to 'document size', before attaching.  Maybe I should compress even smaller for easier viewing.  Sometimes when you click on a picture, it opens up very large and you need both horizontal and vertical scroll bars to view it all.

With a picture you can indeed save writing 1000 words - it is universally understandable.  It is great to have picture posting for everybody now.  Thanks Dan  :wave:

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 09:55:35 »
I use a photo editing tool so that I can crop the bit I want to show, and then resize it to no more than 800 x 600, and then reduce the quality to something "good enough" - I save mine at 70%, files is usually less than 100K, so shouldn't be painful for people to view even on phones etc.

This also solves another problem that I see people having with modern Phones and Forums - that photos get uploaded "sideways". Photo files contain some info that says whether they were taken portrait or landscape, but forums (none that I use anyway ...) don't look at that info.  That info t probably didn't exist in Photo files until camera phones came along! and that's only a few years ago so perhaps no surprise that forum software hasn't been updated to recognise it ... so another benefit of using photo editing software is that I can rotate it right-way-up.

Probably seems like a lot of faff, but as I do it fairly often - to upload photos to Blog or some Forum somewhere - it becomes fairly second nature.

Loads of photo editing software out there, lots of it very complex to use ... the one I use is Irfanview (for PC)
http://www.irfanview.com/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 17:18:36 »
just some spring pic from a very dry clacton-on-sea
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal