Author Topic: Rats  (Read 6817 times)

willsy

• Half Acre
Rats
« on: April 07, 2015, 22:19:12 »
Advice please. Last year Rats spoiled the enjoyment for me on my allotment. I put poison down and caught some in traps. The thing is (and I'm sure some one will say) is it safe to grow where they've been? Last year they ate my strawberries so hanging baskets this year. I'm thinking of removing some of the top soil in my poly tunnel and growing my Tomatoes in containers dug into ground.Seems a shame to have a poly and not being able to use it, but I dont feel happy eating anything where they've been.I know I'm not the only one affected by these vermin as they are everywhere. Its costing me a fortune in rat poison, and I worry about the cats on our allotments eating the dead or dying rats.Council wont do anything to help.Any suggestions???

PondDragon

• Quarter Acre
Re: Rats
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 22:55:51 »
Have you spoken to the other allotment holders about the problem? Trying to reduce their food supply should be the first priority.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:41:36 »
Unless there is something obvious that will cause rats presence and you/or somebody can deal with the encouraging cause..there is not much you can do about it. Just like you said yourself...rats are everywhere and always have been...sadly.
Allotments particularly are like heaven for them..they have food source and plenty of land to roam about, hiding/nesting places and if food become sparce...they are never far away from human habitation and they can nip out for the lunch.
We have rat trap, cage type always set up in polytunnel and over the year we might catch odd one. The most important thing with traps is that they need to be on same place all the time..so any rat coming to area thinks they are permanent fixture, nothing to worry about :angel12: They are naturally suspicious of things that are on their level and appear in different places or is new to their area.
Yes..it is safe to grow where rats have been...but if there is activity on particular bed...there must be something that particular interest them..but make sure everything you eat from rat active bed is washed and if it is active area, then I probably would not grow lettuce on there.
Rats and mice are very attracted to their own smell..and follow the trail of their or others urine. Sometimes growing interest for some particular area...e.g. polytunner is broken down by just watering/spraying the area where the soil meet plastic/glass/wood with Jeyes fluid. You don't have to drench the area..just slight little spray around the shed/gh/tunnel and the strong smell of Jeyes will cut off their smell trail (it is like fallen down bridge from one place to other)..and they will wonder off somewhere else. Which ever is easiest inside and/or outside of the boundary, though you do have to repeat it after while to keep the smell going(at least at first) and once they leave you only have to repeat it couple of times of year or so (that's if you want to make sure occasional curious ones won't wonder in to investigate) it works more often than not.. :icon_thumleft:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:51:43 by goodlife »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:48:44 »
it is somewhat difficult to reduce the food supply for a rat on an allotment!!   An allotment certainly the equivalent to heaven to a rat.

I have had rats and poison seems to have worked.  They completely stripped my sweetcorn last year except ones with a narrow plastic bottles.  The wider ones were no challenge to them.   

I conclude we are sharing our space with rats - not had any problems apart from the disappearing crops and the large holes.   

Have not noticed problems with strawberries, I have two legged thieving rats, so pick twice a day.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 20:21:50 »
There are previous posts regarding this problem. Beyond my previous contributions, consider these brief points:
The local authority has a statutory obligation to control rats. Even if the allotment letting section wishes to hide from it, the Environmental health dept should be reminded.
 Dependent on locallity, involve local residents to increase the pressure.After all, they are more likely. tocomplain!
If the Commitee can be involved, suggest your funds pay a small bounty for each rodent accounted for.
 Look for "tracks" which are rat-runs. They lead to and from rat residences. This may reveal the likely reservoir of your problem.Its often a hen house or shed storing rat food supplies.
Be aware of Weils disease, its causes, symptoms and potential outcome.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 23:37:44 »
Ancellsfarmer. Weils is something I'm worried about especially if growing in the area where the RATS are. The polytunnel must be a run for them as at the present it is  all cleared out and clean. I will try spraying the outside area with Jeyes fluid as goodlife suggests. Thank you all for your comments, will keep you updated.Someone else suggested trying to get a hold of some ferret waste as the rats hate ferrets.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:54:37 »
Something to read.. :drunken_smilie: Most of it is obvious, but I have learn something new too...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=541

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 10:00:44 »
I do agree that we need to be aware of Weil's disease. But considering the numbers of rats and other carriers it is still very rare.

The risk of contracting leptospirosis in the UK is so low you don't need to take drastic measures to avoid the condition.

Leptospirosis is rare in the UK, with less than 40 cases reported in England and Wales every year. Many cases originate overseas and the condition is rarely fatal.

Source:  http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Leptospirosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Though this advice would not be very good for the Olympic rower who died of it having been rowing in Linconshire.   I also worked with someone who got it working down a drain.

NightWish

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 11:42:50 »
They completely stripped my sweetcorn last year except ones with a narrow plastic bottles.  The wider ones were no challenge to them.   

Could you explain this please as I too have rats stripping my sweetcorn?  (I've searched and can't find an explanation.)  I net mine, which makes some difference, but a double whammy would be good.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 13:38:42 »
I am into plastic bottles big time!  I put a bottle over each cob.   The bottle is cut off the bottle and the tops are not needed.   It needs to be quite well fitting, so I found that the 1ltr size works well but with a 2 ltr bottle the rats can still get at the corn.    I also packed a small ring of newspaper round the large end as well.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 16:00:15 »
I do agree that we need to be aware of Weil's disease. But considering the numbers of rats and other carriers it is still very rare.

The risk of contracting leptospirosis in the UK is so low you don't need to take drastic measures to avoid the condition.

Leptospirosis is rare in the UK, with less than 40 cases reported in England and Wales every year. Many cases originate overseas and the condition is rarely fatal.

Source:  http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Leptospirosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Though this advice would not be very good for the Olympic rower who died of it having been rowing in Linconshire.   I also worked with someone who got it working down a drain.

Here is the advice for Cavers, another interested hobby group who may encounter rats.
http://british-caving.org.uk/publication_information/weils_disease_leaflet.pdf
I treat such as " advisable to be aware. The local Authority will take your requests seriously, if you inform them formally in writing/email.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:02 »
I am into plastic bottles big time!  I put a bottle over each cob.   The bottle is cut off the bottle and the tops are not needed.   It needs to be quite well fitting, so I found that the 1ltr size works well but with a 2 ltr bottle the rats can still get at the corn.    I also packed a small ring of newspaper round the large end as well.

Just catching up on this advice ... sounds like a solution for me too.  At what stage would you put the bottles on Digeroo?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal