Author Topic: autumn fruiting raspberries, a query  (Read 2694 times)

richardh5678

• Not So New ...
autumn fruiting raspberries, a query
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:44:30 »
I did not get round to cutting down the spent canes from last year. I was just about to set about this but have noticed nearly all the 'old' canes have started to sprout buds nearly all the way to the top.

new cane growth is also visible, as expected.  Do I let the old canes develop and see what happens, or cut them down as it may affect the new growth?  any comments welcome.  I live in the peak district, if that makes any difference.
Richard

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: autumn fruiting raspberries, a query
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:12:03 »
As you have discovered...autumn fruiting ones don't die down same as summer ones. You have now a options with the cutting down.. :icon_cheers:

1..cut all 'old' canes down and have the usual late crop of berries..

2. ...thin out some of the 'old' canes, and those you leave will produce for you 'summer crop'..once the first crop come to an end, cut the 'old' canes off to make room for the new canes for the usual 'autumn crop'.

If you decide to double drop you raspberries...remember to give them some feed when you clear last of the 'old' canes off. They will need some 'snap' for working so hard for you. It doesn't 'damage' or harm the future cropping/growth. I used to do this for years as regular 'habit' and as long as I kept the plants fed and gave them some water too when it was really hot, they just kept going on producing plenty of tasty berries :icon_cheers: There is small waiting gap between early and late crops though..it won't be 'non-stop' fruiting...

kGarden

• Half Acre
    • kGarden Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 11:18:32 »
I see varieties for sale sold as double-cropping ... or is that basically just marketing speak and you can do this with any Autumn Fruiting variety?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:32:49 »
I see varieties for sale sold as double-cropping ... or is that basically just marketing speak and you can do this with any Autumn Fruiting variety?

All the autumn varieties I have grown, I've been able to double crop them...so I just suspect it is new marketing plot to get people to invest extra money for something 'special'.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 18:46:14 »
I have a mix of unknown varieties so I just tidy them up for the winter then now I cut out any that are showing no signs of growth along with any damaged or weak ones.  I always mulch them with compost to feed and keep the weeds at bay.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

richardh5678

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 22:56:34 »
Thanks for your replies, canes tied up, thinned out, will treat them as summer and see what happens.  This area is not that good for autumn fruiting as the damp sends them mouldy on the canes IMHO. Richard.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal