Author Topic: Liquid seaweed to replace Seasol,any recommendations?  (Read 7235 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
For years I have used seaweed based Seasol and Powerfeed for my greenhouse plants and seedlings for the lottie, this year all my sources seem to have disappeared! Can anyone recommend a reliable replacement please?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

clumsy

• Half Acre
Re: Liquid seaweed to replace Seasol,any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 20:59:43 »
here's a place for powerfeed http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/products/Seasol-Powerfeed.html or http://www.sarahraven.com/gardening_kit/feeding_watering go down the page you will see the products. I personally use shropshire seaweed.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 21:44:56 »
To my utter surprise I found liquid seaweed fertiliser in the pound shop.  Not seen that before. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 22:32:01 »
Thanks for the replies. I purchased 2.5l Seasol from Reads a couple of
Years ago,but they are out of stock, and the Sarah Raven one is a hose diluted so it's not suitable for repeated use and more expensive to boot. Thanks for looking though.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 10:01:50 »
Last time I purchased some it was from Wilko's ...not expensive and it was just 'plain' liquid seaweed,  no added fertilizers..good stuff :icon_thumleft: I'm not sure if they still stock it as I have now bulk supply handy and haven't bought any in for 2 years.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 14:45:35 »
The plain seaweed is the sort of one I'm after, I find it really helps get plants off th o a good start and minimises transplant shock without making the plants produce loads of sappy new growth.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 16:17:16 »
Last time I purchased some it was from Wilko's ...not expensive and it was just 'plain' liquid seaweed,  no added fertilizers..good stuff :icon_thumleft: I'm not sure if they still stock it as I have now bulk supply handy and haven't bought any in for 2 years.

Yes they do at £4.00p per litre bottle
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 04:23:46 »
I have tried the various seaweed extracts and found them quite expensive for what they do, apart from them travelling half the world. If I lived near the coast I would probably make my own if it was legal to take the raw ingredient off the beach.
What I have been doing for the past 3 years is purchasing seaweed meal from the animal feed store and adding it to my worm farms and the nutrients come out in the leachate along with all the enzymes the worms seem to add too. Very nice on everything in the garden.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 06:20:49 »
I have tried the various seaweed extracts and found them quite expensive for what they do, apart from them travelling half the world. If I lived near the coast I would probably make my own if it was legal to take the raw ingredient off the beach.
What I have been doing for the past 3 years is purchasing seaweed meal from the animal feed store and adding it to my worm farms and the nutrients come out in the leachate along with all the enzymes the worms seem to add too. Very nice on everything in the garden.

I've used seaweed meal too and it is good stuff..but, it is used very differently and takes long time to take effect. Although liquid and meal comes from same source, I could not compare them as equals....different end products and different uses.
I used to get some 'meal' from work for nothing and used it lavishly too....then the 'good days' came to end and I started looking for supply to get some more ....OUTCH..buying buy the sackfull  was REALLY expensive. I just looked other day and it would cost me about £40-50 per sack..about 20 kg. I used to use it as 'soil conditioner', taking long time to start taking effect as it needed to be digested by the soil creatures first.
Liquid seaweed is slightly cheaper, particularly if bought in larger quantity rather than small retail bottles...and the advantage of the liquid is that it is consentrated, little goes loooong way, more precise to measure, mixable with other 'stuff' to make liquid fertilizer and the effect to the plant/soil is almost instant.
I get some liquid seaweed from work...little 'perk' of mine :happy7:, but I wish they would go back using seaweed meal too..using both same time would be even better job :icon_thumleft:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal